Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Undertaker
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enjoying endless hours of free stuff on the net, I stuporously embarked on watching Davie McPhail tie a Lady Caroline, a 15-minute vid. "Done in 15-minutes and explaining every step, surely slowing him down," I thought, "I could do that." Revived and filled with enthusiasm, I confidently sat down at the bench, looking for suitable materials. About 15 minutes later, I had gathered matched duck feathers for the wings (pintail I believe), a longish gadwall feather for the body hackle, golden pheasant body feathers for tail and collar, light olive crewel wool for the body, and metallic embossed gold and fine oval tinsel. I used a 2/0 Code M hook, hoping to swing it on a dry line in rising, but fairly low water the next day. We got virtually blown out.

Tying was a breeze - right up to bringing that oval tinsel through the reverse-wrapped gadwall hackle. As I picked and prodded wayward fibers that seemed magnetically attracted to my oval tinsel, I remembered Davie, doing this simple task in mere seconds. But 45 minutes later, I had done it, a Lady Caroline, of sorts. Body hackle is too short, wing a skosh too high, but I like it, else I wouldn't have posted. Next time I tie this fly, I will use wire as the fine tinsel as it slides through grabby feathers much easier.

Hope you are all enjoying your free time. Rich

Attachments

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,818 Posts
Nothing wrong with those. I would imagine they will get some attention!

Dan

·
Registered
865 Posts
Everyone likes to see The Lady. Only the tyer will see see his faults. Others see a good job and know about the trials of reverse wrapping.

You did fine, Rich and thanks for sharing your work.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts