Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this wasn't my first attempt but it's the first that didn't get the razor. I learned a lot with this one, mainly I'm now out of bourbon and will need more before proceeding any further. I have a whole new respect for you guys that tie these and tie them well. I'd love some criticism here from you guys who know what your doing. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You will probably have someone say shorten the wing to the back of the body but I say it looks great! Tie a couple more and hit the water!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
I agree with Josh - get it wet! It looks real buggy!

Hell, I'm gettin' hungry myself, but I think I'll go pour a Glengoyne first!

Nice work amigo!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words guys. Ribs are off a bit and I think, after studying others, the wing could maybe be shortened a tad. I'll get after another one of these soon. From the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's a fine spey. I agree with maccleanhewitt that the ribs are unevenly spaced. For the remarks on the wing length I would say that how to tie in the wings so they "follow the curve of the hook" is I guess a personal interpretation, but as long as the wing does not extend beyond the hook bend and is not leaving a gap between body and wing, you are doing well ;-)

Søren

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This is a pretty nice spey fly. You've already mentioned the things I would have suggested changing; therefore, it isn't necessary for me to do so since you will change them on your next spey fly. Fair warning though: You now have the disease and it will effect all of the flies you tie from now on, and there is no going back!

Welcome to the club.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Favorite fly of all time and you did it justice! Nicely tied and wing looks good to me, I prefer longer wings. Fishing fly so wraps are not critical, I'm sure the fish won't mind either.

Thank for sharing.

KC

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
It looks great! Try it with a wee shorter wing and see what you prefer...but either way there's no mistaking that it's a well-tied spey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts