Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was supposed to post a photo some time ago - sorry - but I have just haven't felt photo-inspired... But I guess better late than never.

Though I call this a Lady Caroline Intruder I did not try to follow the actual Lady Caroline pattern,so Flytyer-you don't need to correct me :hihi:. I really just wanted a drab Intruder for those blazing bright days that occur late n the spring on the Skagit. The thought did manage to bear fruit...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Tyler
Very nice ! Do Intruder patterns need to be tied with the weighted heads ?
This lookes like a terrific Atlantic Salmon pattern !
TIA

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Nice one...

lovely rendition...

Not quite an LC, but I see where the inspiration came from.

I would agree that this would be a good one for Atlantics...may even try to tie up a few offerings.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Brian,

I don't know if there is any rule that says you have to use lead eyes. The purpose of the eyes was to not to gain depth per se - but to counter the bulk of the fly - they are quite round. In the water they slim down a little from the way it looks in the photo, but the Pheasant tail hackle maintains a good profile. The other purpose was the provide stability.

Often I fish them on a dry line and do not try to scratch bottom, rather just keep them under the surface, for this I use the smallest eyes I can find. So long as the water isn't too streamy I would think that eye-less Intruders would still do the trick... it is always fun to find these things out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
lady caroline intruder

excellent tie for this well known pattern as for the eyes i just started to tie intruders my self and have some with eyes and some with out have fished both and to me i think the eyes help with the weight to get it down to the fish in the winter months and with no eyes it will take longer to get down so i tied them a little sparcer and it seemed to do the trick they both swim very well in my opion

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice tie, I have a lady C. Intruder along with a couple other color schemes that I'm going to try for Atlantic salmon this year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kush- nice tie:)

I,m curious - I love the Intruder style tie- seems very adaptable for other than steelhead. I was wondering how you and others fish them ?- straight swung presentation/worked through the swing/stripped ?????????

Will

·
Registered
184 Posts
Кush!
I wonder if the colour choise, of your fly is preffered mostly? Have you ever experienced with orange/chartreuse or other kinda "neon" shade colours? If you have- what said fish?
And has anyone tried this or other Intruders on Kola rivers?

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Intruders in Russia...

I may be trying some of these this year..

Will report back.

Mike

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,

I get most fish on the swing, but once in a while impart some action at the end of the swing - like pulsing the fly with the rod. I got a fish a couple of weeks ago doing that - but mostly on the swing. When there are lots of bull trout around they love these flies on the retrieve!

RYB, I tie Intruders in many colours, black, purple, blue, brown. green, orange. pink, hot pink... go for it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Size

Thanks, Kush.
What about size? Does it matter much, I don't mean the time when brown water and poor visibility are met.
And how big/long one can tie Intuder according to your experience?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed's originals were HUGE some 5 or 6" long! I have some whoppers, but most of my winter ones are around 4" and I do tie some much smaller than that.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Interesting tie; and the LC was one of my few 'go to' flies for summer run fishing in Washington (many years ago). One of those 'old standards' that just keep on working, and working, and working and ....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Perhaps all you guys are aquainted with the "male sized" Intruder, but for many in Russia it is still a new fly....
Kush, would you , please, place a picture of 6" Intruder? I'd like to know what is used while making such a big fly. And may be not only me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts