Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank Spey Bro, Simon, for sending me a new drug to get addicted to, the Grand Spey 7/8 for my 7141.

It was the floating line, and I became addicted with the ability of the GS 7/8 and my 7141 to over come the winds this past fall.

As Jim Vincent noted, after a couple of hours of using the GS over the Mid Spey, you do notice the difference re the heavier line. However, that is irrelevant if the wind prevents good casts and safety while casting the MS.

My local fly shop was not able to get the floating GS for some reason, so I opted for the GS 7/8 with tips. It works very well. However, now I have 3 sets of sinking tips from my WC 678, my MS 7/8 and now my new GS 7/8. That is really two too many sinking tip sets.

Here is the suggestion:

Could Rio come out with a floating line which has a Rio loop on the end of the head and the floating tip is attached via a loop, or the tip Rio with no other tips besides the floating section tip?

Then, I would be willing to pay extra to own this setup and be able to use my perfectly good tips from another Rio Sink tip set. I for one do not want to be cutting these lines in the fishing end to enable me to use presently owned sinking tips.

This would enable those without tips to buy the Rio line with a removeable floating tip and then buy tips later for that line if needed.

I think that it would be a no lose situation for Rio and win/win for the customers and Rio.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Grandpa Spey,

This is a great suggestion. All of us have found that the belly sections of lines wear out faster than the sink tips, probably because they are used more than the sink tips. If RIO offered the floating lines with a loop at the intersection of belly and tip for $5.00 to $10.00 more than an uncut line, it would be a winner.

Simon and Jim, what say you, is this a possibility?

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
They already do! :) ...although I am not totally sure of the exact price but I have been ordering them for years.

Hell...the only thing I have not been able to talk Rio into selling me is extruded 14 weight DT (eventhough I have begged and pleaded with J. Harder).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fly Tyer the Belly Sections

You posted, "All of us have found that the belly sections of lines wear out faster than the sink tips, probably because they are used more than the sink tips."

So there is market for us to mix and match belly sections and tips if offered to us. I hadn't worn out a belly section yet, but I could see how that could happen.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ryan,

I was refering to RIO doing this as a matter of course on their spey lines without tips. I was thinking in terms of it being the normal way to package and sell the spey lines without tips.

I am aware that they will do it for you on an as requested basis; however, most people do not plan enough in advance to be able to have RIO do this. Also, if the spey lines withough tips were offered with loops at the 15 ft point of the line from the line's end, many people would be happy to pay the extra few dollars so they wouldn't have to cut the lines themselves. This would probably be a win-win for RIO and spey casters.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flytyer re Rio Spey lines

You said what I tried to say and probably didn't say it correctly.

You posted, "Also, if the spey lines withough tips were offered with loops at the 15 ft point of the line from the line's end, many people would be happy to pay the extra few dollars so they wouldn't have to cut the lines themselves. This would probably be a win-win for RIO and spey casters."

Then, if you want to add tips or have tips or want to make your own, you don't have to cut the line. Also, please take it one step further and place a factory loop in the business end of eacy line or tip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear that some one else feels the same way. I do not like to have more than one factory loop in my line and would pay more for a floating line with a single 15' tip with FACTORY loops. I am a beliver in rio poducts and would not use anything else but dislike the second loop at the back. Sent a e-mail to rio last month and they said they do not plan on offering a line like this. So what do I have to do to get a custom line from rio? spiny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts