Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Korkers wading boots with the interchangable soles. They would be a real asset to where I fish. I either fish waters which have mud or rock and mud and felts don't work very good together. All comments welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Alan (salmonguy)

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Guideline

The Guideline Boots I sell have a new fiberglass impregnated hard felt which is way better than the soft stuff we have all used. The are better on slippery rocks and just as good in muck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Korkers Interchangeable. Whatever their higher end model is.. I have the studded felt, rubber, and Korker spike sole.. They are a good wading boot. I have had my pair 1.5 season so far, and say I have given them a fair share of abuse. @50 days of fishing. I am on my 2nd pair of spikes as they do wear down. Yes you can buy replacement screws, but I did lose one. Through excessive use, many consecutive days on water, they sometimes will pop out. Is important when putting them back in place, while on the water to not have any dirt get in. So it is important to rinse them out from time to. It took me some time figure that out, eventhough, common sense. Before I figured this out, I wasn't sold on the idea as they kept popping out. I like the boots alot. I do like have the ability for interchanging. Make a much lighter wader boot, than slapping a pair of korkers on your boot. I have found though you get addicted to wading with the Korkers spikes. Rubber soles are greater for when Hiking in/walking large distances before fishing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Korkers

My personal experience with Korkers boots has not been good. I've had the soles pop out on me multiple times, and twice in the water when I really need the traction. I've complained to the manufactured, and they gave me another pair, but the new pair has the same problem, even though they were the "new and improved" model. I've had the soles pop out using both the felt sole and the hiking boot sole. I'm a big guy and I'm hard on boots, so that may have something to do with it, but I just can't trust my life to these boots anymore. I'm now using some simms boots with the studded aquastealth soles and find that they are great for hiking in the mud, and walking on slick rocks.

Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Korkers and I like them. I've never had the soles pop out, but I only weigh 130. I wash them out when I change soles . The studs in the felt soles seem pretty short to me, but they're okay for trout fishing. For steelhead, I wear the calked soles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my Korkers for two seasons, I have fished both fresh and salt water with them - never had a sole pop of yet.

Only gripe is the amount of time it takes for them to dry out( when traveling and weight on an aircraft = $'s) other than that they are by far the best boots I have ever fished with - and trust me I have have tried plenty.

All the best
Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 220lb - no problems with loosing a sole while fishing yet. I use them primarily in snow and ice conditions with the spiked rubber soles.
speydoc

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've had them 2 years now. They are great. No problems to date. I almost always use spikes and as someone said before...they are much lighter and much less bulky then the regular korkers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set of the Korkers Konvertibles that have seen 4 years use. I have gone through several sets of studded felt soles, but mostly because I use them in the fresh and salt water on rocks covered with moss and slime. I like that you can hike in using the rubber soles and then switch off to what ever you need.
As far as the soles popping out, I heard that this was/is a problem once you get size 12 or larger.
And it appears they are coming out with new models next year and thus will be selling soles for the old styles for some part of next year -- so stock up on them if your boots are in good condition.
When this set gets worn out, I will definitely get their new set; definitely been worth the money in versatility.

·
Registered
200 Posts
SalmonGuy:

I would rate them a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Have not had the soles pop out and I'm 230lbs in size 10.5. I did have my spiked felt soles delaminate from the plastic base after about 20 days of fishing. My main gripe is one of design. The toe and sides of the sole is rubber. I fish mainly desert steelhead rivers (Deschutes, Umpqua, Clearwater, etc.) that have a lot of snotty ledgerock. I've gone down several times trying to steady myself with the side of the sole or trying to walk up an incline or climb up the side of a rock, etc. I am a very strong wader and have never had this happen before or subsequently using boots with felt out to the edge of the sole. I've relegated mine to trout fishing and duck hunting and went back to Simms Studded Guide Boots for steelheading. FWIW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts