Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm not fat I'm big boned
331 Posts
Hi,
Use them almost exclusively. I have had great success with the Aquastealth sole. River bottoms are mostly sand to decent gravel and some larger rocks. Good stick and traction in the snow.

Jeff

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Aquastealth

I used to have some LL Bean boots with the Aquastealth soles. They wear better than felt. Which is important if you doe a lot of hiking to & from. They also grip better on streamside grass. Not to mention snow. Which felt is miserable on. Aquastealth may not do quite as well on algae. But for all the trade offs, it ain't bad.

Those Korker sole inserts are light enough, you could carry an extra pair in the back of your raincoat and swap them out at streamside.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not as good

for algae as felt or felt and studs, but not bad. They are really great on clean rock or dry rock on the bank. Like most things there is a trade-off.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I haven't used felt in 10 years. I really like the aquastealth soles for their durability, lack of water retention, and performace. As said, they aren't as good as standard felt on heavy algal growth. However, plain felt, while slightly better, isn't so great in that situation either. This is a place where studs shine or, if the wading is especially treacherous, aluminum cleats.

Edit: I don't know anything about the inserts. My comments are on the aquastealth soles in general with conventional wading boots. I'd be curious as to how well the inserts work. On the face of the idea I'm skeptical, but I'd be pleased to be shown otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts