Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
My Nemisis

Tailing loops... Too fast on the forward stroke.

Think "Smooth gradual acceleration".

Forward creep... Beginning the forward stroke too early.

You have to get the line moving in the intended direction before you apply the main power.

Probably lots more reasons....

Slow down!

This is still my main problem. Easy to understand but difficult to control... Slow down. Feel the rod load then slowly start to accelerate. Slow Down. Slow down slow down

Beautiful when it comes together.

Timing is everything. Wish it happens nice all the time :)

I guess practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just wait longer between casts, there should be a distinct pause between forward and backwards casts. I'm assuming your talking about overhead casting. If your spey casting thats another matter.
Barry
FFF Casting Instructor

·
Registered
440 Posts
As like as knot(a little humour there!),its your loop placements that are causing the problem,don't be scared to cast wide open loops.When casting Double keep the flee well on your downstream side,for a Single,get the flee above and away from you.This way you won't be casting the flee/line into and through itself thus forming a neat overhand knot that works down into your leader!.Trying too hard is the likely culprit,every one does it.Try and keep your forward delivery with your rod in a straight upright plane,again that will send the line out in a straight delivery, casting across your body will also tend to push your line into and through itself again forming a knot.
Just think it through for a moment or two,all you are doing is using your rod to tie a knot in your line,once that sinks in(not easy understanding it)then its an easily solved problem.
Happy casting,P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts