Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, spey fellows and seniors.
If you are using a Poly leader, could you introduce your method how you attach the tippet and which knot you are using on Poly leader?
Although I guess 'loop to loop' connection will be better for long usage of Poly leader, I thought that connection on tippet may be harmful to presentation or fish may feel rejection due to that connection.
How about your thinking?
I will thank you to advise any opinion you have.

cludsfor,

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
non-slip loop

knot to tie a loop in the mono core and then loop in a shorter standard leader with a 10# Maxima tippet. The loop to loop saves damage to the polyleader and allows replacement of the "tippet". It works well for me and is 100%. The know that usually fails when snagged is the double surgeons connecting the tippet to the heavier leader material with the loop to loop connection.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I also use loops but prefer a spider hitch followed by a double surgeons (making a double loop) on the tippet to a double surgeons on the leader

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fred: re Spider Hitch

Fred, just like Rick, our Kispiox guide uses 12lb Maxima exclusively, tying a spider hitch in one end to provide a loop, then ties a double surgeons with the loop ending up with a "doubled" loop" to slip over the loop in the fly line tip. It works well, and usually breaks after the tippet knot, when struggling to pull a hook out of a jam or tree.

Geoff Wilson, the Australian knot guru, rates the Spider Hitch at 80% with monofilament. It is not as strong as a Bimini but sure is fast to tie.

I like Rick J's solution and know it will hold the most violent of Skeena steelhead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

Thanks a lot for all your great advice.
I think most fishermen prefer the double surgeons loop on poly leader.
I got the slow sinking 10' poly leader, is there a standard or proper length or materials of tippet?
For instance, I estimate the fluoro carbon materials will be better match with sinking poly leader than copolymer materials and I think 5' long tippet may be suitable that length of poly leader.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
For the intermediate

I use enough tippet to give me the same length as a floating leader, or about five feet. For the faster sinking polyleaders, I use a shorter tip much as I would with a standard sinking tip. You do not want it floating too high above the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts