Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who fish with steelhead hooks with up turned eyes--what is your knot of choice to attach the leader to the hook?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Double turle, for straight eyes palomar.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I use the same knots as Juro, but will also use the standard clinch know on a straight-eye hook.

Biggest advantage to the double turle knot that I see, besides having the nicest aesthetics (we are after all fly fishing here!), is that it will break before a blood or surgeon's knot. This way when I get snagged, I lose just the fly. It's a lot faster to tie just a new bug on than it is to add tippet and a fly. This allows my fly to spend more time in the water swinging through the river -and we all know what that means!

Pescaphile

·
Registered
143 Posts
Double-Turle for TUE or TDE, & what I think is called a "uni-knot" on straight eyes, tightened a 1/4 inch or so up the tippet so the fly can wiggle..

Poul

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
When I fish standard up-eye flies I use a non-slip loop knot. This allows the fly - especially a small low water pattern to move freely and wobble in the slightest current under the slightest tension. Now thatI fish tube flies exclusively this isn't an issue, but it is the one misgiving I have in making the switch to tubes - I really believe that the freely swinging fly is effective.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I too use the nonslip loop knot. I especially like it whenI used to fish eggsucking leeches with lead eyes. think it lets the head dive when the fly hits soft current seam.the knot has never failed . for that reason I use it for everything. I use it to secure my hook on my Ed Ward intruders .I pull the knot into the tubing and it holds just right. when using a regular tube I use it differently. one side of the loop goes in the up eyeand down and around the shank and up the other side and back out the eye to complete the knot. the knot spaces the hook behind the back of the tube at the desired length and bumps up agsinst the back of th 3/8 tube. when you need to change the hook you can just slip it offf the loop and slip a fresh one back on the loop. no retieing.
Beau

·
Registered
104 Posts
knots

Well, as for knots. I usually use a Duncan Loop (uni-knot). Not because it's the greatest knot out there but it has good strength and I can tie the sucker. I also use the fixed loop not mentioned, but it takes me a little longer to tie. I use the double turle on really small flys, not so much on the steelhead flys.
A friend showed me an article from Scientific Angler the other day that had a knot they called the sixteen twenty or some such thing. Looks alot like a knot someone was talking about on the board a month or so ago. It kind of snaps when you cinch it up. We played around with it for a while and found it had good strength. The leader would usually break before the knot did.
Has anybody used this knot? The only question I had about it was whether it might cinch down on the eye and cause the hook to drift crooked. Anybody have any expierience with it?
jims

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, a bit different I guess.

If I'm using a 'real' steelhead hook rather that a 'fly' hook, I'll tie the hook/leader first with a regular 'egg' loop then tie the fly on top of the whole schmeer. Looks a bit kookie, but with the leader coming off the middle of the 'steelhead hook' it's the strongest tie I've yet run into.

Don't do this very often, and only on large hooks, but Mr. Fish sniffs same and he's hooked good and solid.
fe

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The Sixteen-Twenty Loop knot

is a deceptively simple knot featured in the current (March-April) issue of "American Angler." I tested it by tying on a fly with it on one end of a tippet strand and another fly with the double-loop cinch knot, my standard for some years, and pulling them apart until failure. In all cases, the 16-20 proved stronger. I've fished with it, but have no rampaging steelhead stories to go with it.

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
knot preference

The only knot I use with TUE hooks is a Duncan Hitch. The leader is wrapped around both wires of the return eye, & the knot puled up tight Under the eye. Straight pull, & very strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
there are lots of knots and lots of theories behind each one. I have come to one conclusion.. They all work great and the fish don't care. The day the improved clinch knot no longer works i'll learn something new.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
Rob,

While I appreciate your quest for simplicity, I beg disagree on this. OK, I won't beg, I'll just disagree... politely. Not all knots work great, and some are stronger than others depending on materials, hooks, etc. I personally stay away from the improved clinch in saltwater, steelhead (read: larger hooks and tippet) because I've had it fail. This might have been operator error, but its happened several times with large hooks and virtually never with smaller hooks in 20 years of fly fishing.

For larger straight eye hooks I prefer the loop knot or the twice-through-eye clinch (or trilene) knot. I don't subscribe to any fishing magazines, but the 16-20 described above has me intrigued.

For turned up eye hooks I've been using a knot called the Figure 8 turle, courtesy of WRKE Bill. No failures to report, and easy to tie.

Steve Figure 8 turle

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Sixteen-Twenty Loop knot

Hi Nooksack Mac,
I saw that article and liked the tie, but I misplaced the darn mag. I have vague idea of how to tie, but could sure use a riminder to make sure I am doing it right. Could you help?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Knotty Question

Mitchell

I use the Jansik Special, which has tested stronger than the Palomar for me. The improved Turle only tests 75-85% strength of the leader according to Lefyt Kreh's "Practical Fishing Knots". The Jansik is 98- 100 5 and the Palomar is not far behind.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The 16-20 Loop

New Spey, I lack a printer or other means to send visual material. But since this knot is so simple, perhaps it's worth a try:
Thread the tippet through the hook eye a foot or so. Bring the tippet end back up the standing line (of the tippet). A few inches from the end, make a small loop (say 1/8 - 1/4") around the standing line; clamp it there with thumb and finger.
Wrap the tippet end back down itself and the standing line, toward the fly, 2 1/2 or three turns. Pass the end through the little loop; moisten and tighten. Slide the knot down to the eye by pulling the other end of the standing line. (If done right, the knot usually makes a little click as it's seated against the eye.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Knots of Choice

Mitchell, though on occasion I'll use the non-slip loop, I most often tie on with the Trilene Knot. It doesn't fail unless you mess up in tying it, and it's tested out as a 100% strength knot. The below tying instructions are from the website link listed below, if you check it out they have four simple illustrations showing how it's done. JB

http://www.fish4fun.com/TrileneKnot.htm

Trilene Knot --- Joining Monofilament to Tackle)

1. Run the end of line through eye of hook or lure and double back through the eye a second time.

2. Loop around the standing part of line 5 or 6 times.

3. Thread the tag end back between the eye and the coils as shown.

4. Pull up tight and trim the tag end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts