Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was out Friday fished all day, finally tried out a muddler 3rd cast in I hooked a fish on the dangle, got to see its back, couple of headshakes and gone......
Knot broke. Had tied a loop knot.
Arghh
It broke not at the knot but in the loop area see the photo. The photo is not the actual knot I just retied at home for illustration purposes.
12 lb flouro, I'm wondering if it got kinked? The loop portion was appx 3/8" long.
Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Note that the knot didn't break in the actual guts of the knot, i.e., the parts that are twisted/clinched together. It broke at the top end of the loop, the part that was pulling against the hook eye. I'd examine the inside of the hook eye, under magnification. See if there's roughness there.
I’ll be surprised if he’s able to examine the hook.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm going back Friday maybe I'll get him.
But I did wonder if the hook may have been an issue

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree with Mac, looks like a sharp spot on the hook eye cut through the loop. Were you using return eye or loop eye hooks?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Weren't using old tippet/leader material were you? I've had old Maxima break in both loop and straight sections. By old I mean several seasons. Just a thought...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm trying to decide which was more vicious, the fishes take or SLSS's response!

Did you tie the loop knot with the fly in there, or did you tie the loop then pinch the loop to feed it through the eye? If it was a small fly and thick tippet and you had to pinch it super hard to get it through the eye that could have weakened it enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry don't know how to copy text..
But yes return eye hook, line year or 2 old.
Probably go get some fresh line..

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Ok so I was out Friday fished all day, finally tried out a muddler 3rd cast in I hooked a fish on the dangle, got to see its back, couple of headshakes and gone......
Arghh
It broke not at the knot but in the loop area see the photo. The photo is not the actual knot I just retied at home for illustration purposes.
12 lb flouro, I'm wondering if it got kinked? The loop portion was appx 3/8" long.
Thoughts?

I've seen it happen where the loop itself is nicked from working flies on the bottom. Saltwater flies mostly. Could have been a dropped backcast or blown anchor also, and perhaps the fly nicked something just enough to nick it rigth there??? It happens. I have a habit of checking.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,855 Posts
I've seen it happen where the loop itself is nicked from working flies on the bottom. Saltwater flies mostly. Could have been a dropped backcast or blown anchor also, and perhaps the fly nicked something just enough to nick it rigth there??? It happens. I have a habit of checking.
We always think of something happening underwater but the casting of a fly is pretty dynamic and the casting process must put some strain and chafing on the tippet. I also have a habit of pulling my fly in and checking things out every now and then. If it doesn’t look 100% it gets fixed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Arghh
Thoughts?
Not sure what you were targeting or possibly hooked. My guess is you were underlined in terms of tippet strength for whatever you hooked, and how you fought it. Again, I have no clue what type of reel you were using, how tight the drag was set, rod position, etc. More information would lead to a more informed answer, but when I'm fishing for Steelhead on the WA Coast I fish 20-30 lb flouro leader. You need to gear up for the fish that you want to catch (fish of a lifetime) not the fish that you are likely to catch. Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
but when I'm fishing for Steelhead on the WA Coast I fish 20-30 lb flouro leader. You need to gear up for the fish that you want to catch (fish of a lifetime)
I need to know where these steelhead are that inspire the use of 20-30 pound test leader material! I'm always amazed at how heavy some anglers feel they need to go for a fish species that isn't real toothy and doesn't require a bite tippet. All the steelhead I have ever caught were taken on 8 or 10 pound test Maxima leader material, and that includes specimens of 20 pounds and larger. Of course Maxima tests heavier than is stated on the label, but it's nowhere near twice or three times heavier. I think some flies are harder on leader tippet than salmonids are. Turning over weighted flies, like coneheads, seems like it can weaken a tippet. I'm not certain of that; it could just be that weighted flies are more likely to abrade leader tippet on the river stones.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Type of hook? Especially its eye construction? Many of our traditional trout type hooks, i.e. those where the eye is simply wrapped around a mandrel, are quite capable of cutting leader.

Line Font Drawing Magenta Illustration

·
Registered
871 Posts
If the fly had been used for a prolonged period, I suspect normal wear and tear on that type of knot would cause abrasion and weakening--even with a good, clean eye.
When we used to catch fish once in a while, we were instructed to re-tie the knot after every fish. Present times dictate re-tying by the clock rather than by the fish I reluctantly guess.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As it was fluoro the age of the material shouldn't be a factor, and it does sound like abrasion of the hook eye is a possibility. I've seen it before where flies have got wet, not dried properly and some rusting of the inside of the eye (not visible) has created abrasive spots that break the tippet when pressure is applied by a fish. It might be worth checking other flies in the same box to see if there's any sign of that on the flies you do still have. The ends of the broken loop do look as though they've been rubbed the wrong way.

That being said, I've had loop knots in fluoro break at loop-to-loop connections where abrasion shouldn't be an issue. When buzzer (chironomid) fishing for trout the takes can be savage and I've had some types of tippet break from the sudden shock of the impact.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Personally I’d stay away from fluoro. I won’t use it anymore. Seen and had to many flies and fish lost in situations where mono would have not failed. Especially the rio and SA brand stuff. Seaguar seems to the better one out there but still no good for salmon or steelhead in my opinion. For trout fishing sure nymphing or whatever where you need that extra bit of sensitivity I think it would be good. But for swing fishing for salmon and steelhead I don’t think it’s necessary. Maxima green always!!!😂

1 - 20 of 38 Posts