Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting out on the Klamath, staying in Yreka next week, I heard skandi is the choice, but what type/ sizes of flys- Just in case I get time to fish
Thanks
gene

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gene,

Perennial favorites for the Upper Klamath from Iron Gate down:

Moss Back
Silvercone Hilton
Brindle Bug
Herniator

size 6&8 s

Good Luck,
sixheads

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Klamath is not so big a river that it demands a 2 handed rod. I've fished it several times, and been able to cover it with a single.

Agree with Nate about the bugs. Black and Blue is good, maybe with some flash. Be ready to cut some stuff away if a smaller presentation is req'd.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Guys thanks for the great INFO! each of you give info I couldn't find elsewhere ,again thanks for your input- can`t wait to give it a go
gene

·
Registered
149 Posts
Klamath River

I just got back from the Klamath River . The water temps. are mid to high 50's. We only used floating scandi lines. Small muddlers in drab to black colors seemed to work great. The fish were real grabby from 12-5. It is a great mix of 1/2 pounders and adult fish, all wild. You must also fish barbless! Kudo's for Craig Nielsen's spey week-end at Scott River Lodge. I would only fish a 2-handed rod because many places there is no back cast room.

All Good Things,

Gary Anderson

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Put the banana's out side and you'll have half of what you need for a banana split. :chuckle:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Bring some silver hilton's in 6 and 8. I believe the fine is 2 beers if you fail to have at least one silver hilton in your possession. Oh yeah, fish it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts