Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fish the Kitimat river this time of year? Also, do you know anything about Steelhead Heaven/Kitimat adventures guide service. Thinking of taking a trip in may but I don't know the river or what to expect this time of year (specifically this year).

Fishgrog,

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Be careful.

I recommend you get five references of persons fly fishing your prospective date and call them all. Four close friends fished the Kitimat two years ago during winter, or near winter, and found almost every important element of the trip to be misrepresented. These four fished for a week, and not one got even a pluck, but did collect daily limits of criticsm of their casting and fishing skills, which I know were undeserved.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fishgrog,
This is THE time to flyfish for steelies in Kitimat R. I live here...The run is hatchery enhanced and the return is expected to be close to 6000 this year. April is a bit slower on the fly, but the first couple of weeks in May should be quite productive. It's not the number of fish you should worry about, it is the weather...too warm(snow melt) or too rainy will affect the level and the clearity of the river.
The guys at Steelhead Heaven are very well known locally, if Kitimat is not an option they will take you to Kalum R which is :whoa:
I am not sure what Bob Pauli's friends circumstances were, but I assure you steelhead season on Kitimat is in the spring.
Good luck and let us know how you did, send me an Email if you have a pontoon and have the time we can float together :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fishgrog ,myself and a friend are arriving in Terrace on Wednesday the 11th ,we'll be fishing the Kitimat (on our own)that day ,and then we have 2 days booked with Steelhead Heaven ,I'll gladly let you know how I did when I arrive home .Heard a rumour about BIG SPRINGS and straight hooks ,OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH scarrrryyy.
If any one can give me some very easy directions to a section of the Kitimat where a couple guys can go to hike and slap water ,it would be most appreciated,oh ya ,no 4x4. :smokin:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Fishgrog
A friend & I found fish on the 2nd & 3rd - not large numbers and the river was low and clear. We know of one lost chinook on gear. :chuckle:
speydoc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Didn't recieve your E-mail gkis ,please try again.Starting to have a hard time sleeping ,going to toss flys on the Chedder ,to try and ease the anticipation of the trip to Terrace.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks speydoc

speydoc said:
Fishgrog
A friend & I found fish on the 2nd & 3rd - not large numbers and the river was low and clear. We know of one lost chinook on gear. :chuckle:
speydoc

I will be up next week fishing 17th, 18th and 19th, I hope I am not to late for steelhead. Have you had success with the kings and if so what flies seem to work in this water?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Fishgrog
The peak of the steelhead run on the Kittimat is the third week in April - you may find that many of the fish are post spawn when you get there, to flyfish for chinook I would wait for better numbers, that would be arround the end of June and first two weeks of July. You may have better sucess on the Kalum for chinook next week as the Cedar river run should be in at that time. For the Kittimat for chinook I would use marabous in black/purple and chartreuse/tourqoiuse("Moose's Ugley") and black leaches.
Tight Lines
speydoc

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ironspey and Fishgrog,
I thought you were coming tomorrow.
I fished Kitimat three days ago, just a couple of days after Speydoc, the river was very low, spoke with two guides, they had "nada". I caught :tsk_tsk:
I was told the estimate was 6000 steelies for this year :confused:
Don't let this disappoint you, the conditions change every day. A friend of mine fished the river same time as Speydoc, he stood on one gravel bar the whole day and hooken into two steelies :) I know that Tracy(Steelheadheaven) was reporting good activity on the fly on the upper Kalum. It has been very warm in the last few days, the level is still OK, but we are expecting rain. If there is someone that knows where the fish are holding, is Tracy and the rest of the guides at Steelheadheaven. I friend of mine fished the lower Kalum for springs with no luck, but they are coming...
Good luck,
gkis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Kitimat/Kalum drainage

Hello guys/gals I was surfing the net and a client told me to goto spey clave and I found this forum, and holly crap you guys are talking about me, we'll all I can say is that the season on the Upper Kalum has been awesome, the fly anglers had great success this season and allot of big males were causing equipment faliure with our anglers. The Parking Lot Pool was again producing a historic dreamalnd. One fella bust a big male off with 15lb tippet as it ran down into the rapids, another bust the handle off his old cortland reel and if you can believe it hand lined theis 40 incher in just to see it bust the fly just b4 I tried to net it. His fishing partner hooked another large male the next day and again at the net his 9WT Loomis snapped at the butt section. It seems that we stay away from high water, as we all know falling river is sweet. The upper Kalum stayed clean and when swelled it fished better, I think all these Steelies and Kings hold in the 5-6 pools in high water and then disperse into the other 25 when the water is in prime shape. As for the Kitimat I found that the river was really clean this year and we had a nice run of fish, sight fishing was awesome and we watched three pair of fish spawn, incredible. With the use of roe the favorite pastime, I found that these fish were tight lipped for the fly, but we did manage a nice number of landed Kitimat Steel. With the Kings running as well some of the fellas had a hay day thinking the world record was broken at 42lbs only to find at the end of the fly a chrome King, oh darn. Today is the 13th and our last client will be leaving the 21st the river has again swelled and has jumped up 4ft from Monday, still fishing is good and type 8 sink tips are on order. I find that the Rio multi-tip is the choice for the fellas and a perfect swing is attained with this line, comments. I will be posting a new report with some of the latest Kalum Steelhead on the steelheadheaven.ca site. I will be checking this site regularily to chat with all of you about Spey, my new love!!!
tight lines, Tracey John Hittel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the great time Tracey,too bad I busted my new spey rod .The Kalum river was very generous to me and my buddy ,even though she was in the trees ,shudder to think how great fishing would be ,if she dropped and cleared for us.Those big springs rolling in the flow had me hoping to hook one ,maybe next time .
Bent Rods

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ironspey,
Was it you I saw on the 12th fishing with Tedd and the other guy? I was floating on the blue pontoon and trying to speycast...For whatever reason I thought you were coming with Fishgrog next week.
This is heaven isn't it? I remember the days I lived in Surrey and fished Vedder R in the fall, shoulder to shoulder and now here I am having to share the 6 mile strech with three more guys :chuckle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gkis ,you definately have a peice of heaven there,I'm sure you'll be connecting with the spey on a regular basis ,very soon .Coming back in the fall ,for two weeks with my family,I'll definately be dropping by the lodge for a visit .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts