Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip up to BC nov. 6 through the 11 th with two friends. Flight, hotel in Hazelton and rental SUV are booked, and I'm looking into a guide for our first day on the water. Our hope is to fish the Kispiox or Bulkeley depending on conditions, and see what we can find. Expensive lodges and guides are not in our budget, and we have been snowed on plenty while standing in rivers. Are we crazy heading up this time of year? I would love to hear from you if you have suggestions for DIY spots and best patterns. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Very good chance of snow. guides will be a minimum $500/day/person if you can even find one as most will have used up their quota. Anything less and you're likely dealing with an illegal guide. Crowds will likely be gone that's for sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The entire area (Bulkley, Morice, Kisp, etc) fishes well into mid November. Pros: no crowds snowy backdrops and virgin water. Cons: very cold mornings, fewer daylight hours and absence of guides. Most have used up their rod days by then and are doing their own thing (whatever it may be) fir the winter months. No shortage of fish around though no matter where you choose to swing. Just be sure to fill your flask with something strong!! Tight lines, SH.:lildevl:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You could also run into -20C weather, pretty easily.. It's a guessing game in a big way. Doubt many guides will do a one day if you're planning on doing your own thing after. Especially this late in the season where they're burnt out.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Very cold water temps & icy guides, cold...cold! Get some well insulated boot foot waders or Bama sockets. I fished the Kispiox around Halloween and the water temps were in the mid 30's and it took me 3 months to get the feeling back in my big toe. It will still fish!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the deal is dress really warm, and good luck! I planted trees for 5 years in BC as a teen from noth of Williston Lake to Bella Coola, and have been snowed on in June before moving to San Francisco and working for Scott fly rods in Berkeley. Also fish the Trinity in the snow every year. Always an adventure! If anyone feels inclined to share (pm) me one or two good walk in spots, it would be appreciated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts