Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a meeting held last night in Coquitlam, BC (near Vancouver) the Kingfisher Rod and Gun Club passed the following motion:

Due to the lack of fish in the Thompson River this year, the Kingfisher Rod and Gun Club strongly recommends that their members and other anglers, cease to fish the Thompson River for the remainder of the 2003 season.

The club also expressed its concern for and support of the community of Spences Bridge, and underscored that support but continuing with its annual Thompson River Banquet this weekend in Spences Bridge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dear Dana, Tyler, Rick, Rob, Poul, etc..

I heard of the King fishers resolution wednesday evening while enjoying a beer with several of your members at the Log Cabin Pub. I have very mixed emotions about the Thompson closure, as this season was exceptionally memorable, as all seasons on the Thompson are. My first fish of the season was landed simultaneously with one landed by Harry Lemire in one of your favorite runs of water, a beautiful hen of about 18 pounds. I was also extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to share the Thompson with fishers from several countries. I am extremely saddened about the closures impact on the small community of Spences Bridge...I fear for the impact it will have on the Rivers Edge restaurant, the Log Cabin Pub, and other small Spences Bridge businesses. The scenery and local community members are magnificant. I landed 6 beautiful Thompson river fish this year that I will never forget, and while I don't entirely agree with the satistics that lead to the closure of the Thompson, I fully agree that her fish need protection, they are like no other steelhead on earth! I bought a fishing shack in Spences Bridge last year to enjoy the scenery, local community members, and like the Thompson fish, I wanted to enjoy the company of the truly hard core steelheaders that persue them. It was a pleasure to have spent time with many of the members of the Kingfishers and debated the issues with Rick, Rob, etc, with respect to the Thompson closure, and while I don't entirely agree with all practices of the group, I fully respect Its' decision and support it to support the Thompson river fish that we all respect! My buddies and I decided to also respect the Kingfishers and ended our season wednesday evening as many of your members did. The lure of Thompson steelhead, the pleasure of experiencing her fish with a friend, the warmth of a late morning breakfast at Vickies, a cold beer with great steelhead buddies talking flies, lies, gear and fish are memories I wont soon forget, and am not willing to give up!

I respect the Kingfishers decision and please count me in, in any capacity to help support Spences Bridge, the Thompson and her fish!

steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hooking a fish is just the icing on the cake and landing one is just the cherry on top. Spey casting and spending time in a beautiful place with friends is why I go to the river.

Why not organize a get together at SB to support the local community and fish hard for the week/a few days with a fly tied on a plastic tube with no hook and count boils? Bringing up a large steelhead, as you know, is very exciting and worth something in it's self. If you boil one, see how many times you can bring him up. See if your buddy following you can raise her as well. Talk and laugh about it over beers in the pub at night.

If you have a large turn out it would put a little preasure on those that showed up to hook fish. Through polite education you could make others aware of the need to preserve that mighty strain of steelhead and that yes, catch and release does have an impact.

We would be spey fishing a great river, supporting the local economy and watch dog'n the river. Everyone wins. Those with their heart in the right place would join in. Those that just talk the talk would reveal themselves as beening more interested in catching fish then having true respect for them.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Great idea Greg!

For that matter, a spey clave up there would be something. A clave for monster lines, rods and casts worthy of the river. It would be the setting for a magnificent show of big river casting skills with some of the big names who frequent her banks this time of year.

I do realize and appreciate that the solidarity needed to protect this unique strain is not achieved by flyfishers alone but the C&R gear anglers are a huge part of the voice that would rise to this cause. But, such a clave would have no intent to exclude anyone, it would simply be flyfishers doing their part.

Could be a way to ride out the lean times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lastcaststeve and friends. Thank you for the support. The Thompson River needs all the help it can get.

Rickwbr-member of the Kingfisher Rod and Gun club.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That was a really tough weekend... To pay homage to your river by not stepping into it yourself was difficult. Not that I don't understand why people were fishing - we just couldn't do it ourselves. While we didn't carry picket signs we did our best by watching and having "enviro-chilled" martinis. Here we are watching a fish being fought in the Graveyard. Like I said it wasn't easy...

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've never fished the Thompson, but I have a better sense of the awe it inspires having read your posts. You guys are a tribute to the sport, and to the mighty Thompson itself.

It did occur to me that if you did take up GPearson's idea of hookless fishing, it might be a good idea to identify yourselves as hookless fishers in some way: a red armband or some such thing. The fishermen who know you, or know of you, need to know that you're fishing, but not hooking.

In any case, a salute to all of you; maybe one day I'll get to the Thompson myself. If I have any luck there, I'll know who to thank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
and now in an unbelievable turn of events, the season will not close, the test fishery has been upgraded to 1000 fish and it's business as usual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts