Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
When you weigh 135lbs thats what happens! I actually these guys in other videos they made while traveling in BC, and they have a method that works...I bet they rip a lot of hooks!
Thanks for sharing!! I love anything where salmon are involved!

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Now that's a field test for a rod blank!

I think safety goggles may be a good idea though as I could see the potential for a lot of carbon shrapnel on the ones that go wrong.

Not for me though, the couple of times I've done this involuntarily by having a loop of line over the reel handle & a big Atlantic on the other end made me realise why our ancestors invented the reel in the first place.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So hear you Tyke.

There's a vintage tackle web site and looking at all the old reels (many made of wood) is a visual trip when you consider they were 'State of the Art' at one point.

Only have one (couldn't resist as I'm a reel tackle tart) and it's amazing to look at this old thing made out of cast aluminum. Even came with the original box, although that's pretty beat up. Large reel (close to 6" across) but the actual line capacity is 'zilch.'

fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw a film clip of this years ago ....

AND fully understood how that tuna (sandwich) I just ate got into the can.:eek:

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,328 Posts
I recognized the big mountain in the video and am pretty sure I know right where they were at. You gotta hand it to them they didn't care whether or not they fell into the water or not. Myself, I wouldn't do it, I like having a reel on my rods. I was glad to see some bright fish in the program, I really don't enjoy catching them once they color up.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Holy crap
If I tried that it would take me a year just to get all my vertebrae lined up again
Bjay

·
Registered
678 Posts
And that's why I'd never use an 18' for chinook...

I think those are keiryu rods on steroids - a close relative of tenkara rods, but with no cork on the grip and meant to chuck bait and whatnot, not flies (kebari).

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super information.

And that's why I'd never use an 18' for chinook...

I think those are keiryu rods on steroids - a close relative of tenkara rods, but with no cork on the grip and meant to chuck bait and whatnot, not flies (kebari).
I had no idea there were 'different' versions of the tenkara rod(s).

fae

·
Registered
410 Posts
now! I will call that sports fishing :chuckle:I saw a fisherman once on the salmon river well he was no fisherman just a snagger .hook big chinook at the top of a run with about 20 ft of line and stop fish as they try to run downstream .he succeed whit two smaller fish 'but on the 3rd his leader give up just below the slug of lead he was using for weight .it sounded like a shot the slug hit him on the side of his mouth and knock him down .there was blood everywhere ,but he got up quickly ,and put his rig together and kept fishing .and I thought on that day at least he got what he deserve .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts