Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a spey rod to use for king fishing. Specifically the lower river/tide water areas. My question is what length will I need. I assume that because casting long distences is a must a longer rod would be the ticket but I don't think so. So I pose this question to you.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not just distance

Once you hook one you have to fight it and here the shorter rods shine. An acquaintance uses the Meiser 1367/8 MKS for salmon to 30# plus. If you are after really big kings go to something a little heavier and perhaps a little shorter. You would most likely be using a shooting head system (Skagit, Scando, etc) and should be able to get the needed distance. Overhead from the beach, a rod like the Atlantis from CND should work really well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mike,

Very bright early entry Kings are in their most aggressive combat, and bite mode, and are great sport because of this.

<> But they are also very vulnerable, as once these big guys are allowed to turn into a main current, it can turn into 30 minute or longer tedius bull-dogging game of endurance for both the angler and the fish alike.

This can really become a physical burden to the fish, even life threatening.

Over the years, we've seen incredibley beautiful wild car-bumper Kings fail to revive because they were over fought....A sad thing to see, especially when this happens so early on in their journey up-river.

We have found that the sturdy, shorter 12'6"/13'0" rod can be an effective lever to keep these very aggressive fighters under control at close range right after the hook-up, and keep them nosed into the beach.

....And after a few explosive minutes of close in fighting, (the shorter rods)will lead them quickly to the beach, and will allow them to be safely released in short order.

Ther are no doubt many anglers that have acquired the necessary skills to quickly defeat the bright 30 pound plus fish to the beach with the longer, or lighter weight rods like Ted mentioned....But I think it is just that: An acquired skill.

I think that a well designed 12'6" to 13'0" rod in the 8/9/10 wt range <> 600 to 750 grain capability can easily deliver the necessay distance to reach bright Kings in most any small to medium sized estuarian river situation.....But most importantly <> Will aide to more quickly, and safely defeat the 30 pound plus fish to the quick release in the hands of the less seasoned angler.

....Plus the shorter rods are not a whole lot of graphite to handle, so are a joy to deliver over a long day on the water.

We have a new 12'6" 9/10 Scando, and the well seasoned 13'0" 9/10 MKS: Both having good field records with Mr. Nooky.

....Meiz

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, I was hopeing you would reply as I was thinking about your 13' 9/10/11 as a possible choice. Your suggestion of a 9/10 wt rod gives me more flexability in use other than just kings which was my worry with the 9/10/11.

Can any one give me an idea as to what kinds of diatences these short rods are capble of and would it be benefical to fish a rod specifically designed to a casting style like Scando or skagit or would any 13' 9/10 work with the proper line?
Thanks
Mike

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
When I used to chase kings, up to 5 years ago, I used a sage 12'6" 9wt 3 piece to good advantage. Of all the rods I now own, I would probably use my CND Skagit. Bending down to the grip is something I like on big fish rods. Plus it has handled a few outsized chums in short order. If you need more than a nine weight, just point the rod at the fish and hope your backing is tight enough on your reel to winch away on it without needing to take everything off and wind it back on after the trip :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can strongly recomend Meiz's 13' 9/10/11 MKS - I just spent a week in the Dean with it! I used the Rio 9/10 (650g) Skagit line with 15 to 21 feet of T14. Over the years I have also fished the following Sages: 10150-4,10151-4 and 9150-4 (the former is still in use with a 750g Skagit line) as well as Meiz's 13' #12/13 (with a Skagit 750g) - the later would still be my first choice if there were any numbers of fish arround, however it is a stiff rod to fish all day if one is only getting one or two hookups.
The MKS 13910 would be my first choice if I were to be limited to one rod - it has the nuts for chinook but is also light enough to fish all day and would not be overkill on 2 and 3 salt steelies.
My 0.02 cents worth.
speydoc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts