Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched the first episode of King of the River season 2, I watched season 1 last year and enjoyed the show. The first episode was as good as last year, he is fishing different rivers on the Gaspe, I enjoyed the episode looking forward to watching the rest of season 2. One thing I have to mention which I saw in this episode as well as season one, is the hook set he uses. When I fish for Atlantic salmon with a swung fly and a salmon takes the fly, I wait for the line to tighten and then I raise the rod and usually just use a good tight pull of the line with the rod raised to set the hook. Where as the host of the show does more of a trout set where he jerks the rod up which I find unusual. Anyway just thought I would mention to see if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if you can watch it on the WFN website, that is the channel I watch it on and I know you can watch some shows on their website.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up John. I'll have to PVR it now.

I don't think it's on any other 'channel' as it's the first-run right now and I believe WFN has exclusive rights.

re: hooksets. With the double hand rod I'm very guilty of far-to-forceful hooksets. I'm trying to calm down my senses and let the fish pull hard on the line and then lift.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Wish I could access the shows, will have to search out their web site.

Re to set or not to set.. For me, a lot depends on the water. If it's moving a decent speed letting them tighten followed with lift is my plan. On softer inside seam areas I use the trout set (moderate, not the bass masters version ;))

·
Registered
320 Posts
Can't find the episodes off TV.

I've also emailed the address at the King of the River website a couple of times over the last year asking about DVD or digital downloads for the show and have gotten no response at all. Why bother even leaving an email address if they never bother to read/respond?! :mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wfn

I watched the first season of shows, and would have watched the second season shows too, but because they couldn't reach agreement with WFN my cable carrier (charter communications) decided to drop WFN from their broadcast lineup.

They don't have any problem leaving the cost of the package unchanged though

·
Registered
101 Posts
WFN is in freeview as well with Rogers. I believe it is also airing on the sportsmen channel and Wild tv.

I too really enjoy the show. He shows a deep passion and respect for the fish.
In addition, the music is nice. It is much better than the hard rock, or dubstep that is all over other fishing show these days.

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree I enjoy the music and narration as well. Although I have been fishing for many years for salmon I do like how he explains some of his methods and theories, good for new people to the sport as well as experienced. The photography is nice as well, all around a good show.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice series saw it last year and this years episodes so far on the Outdoor Channel. Good photography and great scenery. He does talk much about the tackle and flies used though. So far have only seen him use the single hander. He will be doing some large rivers like the Matapedia though in a future show this year so maybe the spey rod will b used. Enjoyable show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
First I'll say that everyone's got their own methods of a hook set that work for them.
Second; current speed, swing speed, fisherman's position, amount of slack line, how a salmon takes, and other factors will influence the hook set. This is especially true fishing a single hander. Even more so fishing a dry fly.
ln the latest episode, if the editing was done in real time, the salmon was hooked from downstream. The angler cast a dry fly upstream and as it drift, the proper method wouldve been to strip in the slack as it drift closer.
If lots of slack then a good hard hook set is necessary to get that hook to penetrate. Another factor is the speed in which the salmon takes the fly. this particular salmon took quickly so a quick hook set was necessary.
Every single salmon, just as every fisherman, react in different ways. Would i have done things different? Probably. But the beauty of this show inmo, is one salmon fisherman's moment in time in incredible surroundings. I've fished that particular pool on several occasions. there are no words....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts