Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned about Kineya reels from Japan on a bamboo rod forum just before going there on my honeymoon. It was a convoluted transaction, but I was able to obtain a Model 704 which is discontinued but was able to be made up for my order. There was a plan in the works to start a US distributor but that has fallen through.

I am very pleased with this reel. It has a quieter sound than Hardys, but it feels and sounds like quality, strength and precision. I think the use of stainless steel is a good idea. The drag seems very strong and smooth, and adjustable in minute increments. I think that the elimination of numerous screws on the sideplates makes for a beautiful design.

I haven't seen or used a Peerless disc drag salmon model to judge how this stacks up with those, which are priced a bit higher than this was.
The size of this reel falls between the Peerless 5A and 6A according to my translations from the metric measurements, so I don't think it can handle a modern spey line but it holds an old Hardy silk long double taper line fine. It's a little heavier than the Peerless models.
They made two bigger sizes for spey lines.

I took it out with a Sharpe's Scottie 11' grilse rod and the silk line in the first pool above tidewater in a local stream, and enjoyed the combination thoroughly. I caught about thirty bright pink salmon, and they are big and strong this year and many of them took nice sustained runs. I also hooked and played a king salmon that looked about fifteen pounds for about ten minutes, with no complaints from the reel, before the 1x tippet broke in a jump as the tail whalloped the line.

It's stainless steel except the spool which is A6061T6 aluminum, and that has me reluctant to use it in the salt, though I sure would like to.
Has anyone else used these reels - especially has anyone used them in salt water?

All in all I am one happy customer.

-Vincenzo in Juneau

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
That sure looks like a nice reel, and a nice pink salmon you got there. crap, that makes me sad as I will not be NW for the pink run this year. :(

vinnie

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Yes a very cool rod/reel!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've sent them a couple of email with no replies. Can you PM contact info as they are not a supporter of the site.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 706 Spey reel and I am very happy with it. Looks beautiful and works fine. It is not a reel for the long speylines due to capacity, so I have mostly used it for shooting head setups for my 15' and 16' foot 10-12 weight rods.

Knut

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hello Vince,

The spool is clear anodized so it's OK. It appears that they have laquered the stainless frame. I would be more concerned about that with salt. Just make sure to rinse in fresh water afterwards and all should be well.

I have the 705 model and agree that the spring/pawl does have a very nice purr to it. Really too heavy of a reel to enjoy on graphite, at least for my tastes. I found the drag to be not as smooth as it could be. Or have very much adjustment range due to their design. So I fixed that problem. Added rulon to the stainless disc to run against the cork. And machined a very simple spring 'sandwich' using brass and stainless spring washers. Now it has range and is smooth as butter.

William

1 - 6 of 6 Posts