Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you guys have kids that you take fishing but on some fly fishing boards I visit from time to time I see many post about finding kids waders. Only a few places seem to have kids waders and they seem to cost a lot especially in light of the fact that they will most likely be to small next summer.

What would you think would be a reasonable rental fee for a pair of DB breathables sized for kids coupled with a pair of kids sized DB felt soled boots? The rental period would be from the week prior to Memorial Day to the week following Labor Day.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Kids Rental Waders

MJC - We (The Bozeman Angler) had DB lightwieghts in our rental program and they were great & I think we had a pair or two of kids waders. We rent them for $10 waders & $10 boots / day so $20/day if they need both (somtimes people just want to wet wade in the summer). We often rent them for 1/2 price or somtimes free if they are going out with a guide or are good customers. Let's see, to rent them from Memorial day to Labor Day - - that's 96 days --- 96 x $20 comes out to $1920.00 I Think the youngster would be better off to get the parents to lay down the $150 and just buy them saving around $1770. OK, really, I think our rental prices are fare but it is nice to be flexible on $ for good customers. Also, you can sell them after 1 or 2 seasons and get your $$ back. ----Lawrence S

P.S One other think you might want to ponder is who is the youngster going to be with & where? Liability?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think your numbers are not what I had in mind. I really wasn't thinking about making money on the deal, just not loosing money. I was thinking a hundred for the summer. I'll pay the postage out the customer can pay it back. I have no walkin traffic in the summer and my target is my customers that live other places that don't have a local shop offering kids wader rentals.

If liability is an issue, what does The Bozemen Angler do about it? I can always sell them and then buy them back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's typical of Mike to want to walk the extra two miles to satisfy his customer. In this instance, though, Mike, I would have some serious reservations about renting a pair of waders to a kid living wherever for a season. On one plane, kids in general will probably abuse and flat out not care of things. I don't know who would want a pair of kid's waders used for a summer. On another more serious plane, regardless of what kind of liability could be worked out, if anything serious happened to a kid wearing waders I'd rented him, well, I don't know how I'd handle that. It seems an outright sale sort of creates a separation from whatever happens or doesn't happen between me and the client. In this litiginous age of ours people do funny things when things hit the fan. My unsolicited 0.01

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Having done a fair amount with kids and fishing over the years, and with zero mishaps (knock on wood) I would say make sure the waders come with a tight comfortable belt and personal flotation gear.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
juro said:
Having done a fair amount with kids and fishing over the years, and with zero mishaps (knock on wood) I would say make sure the waders come with a tight comfortable belt and personal flotation gear.
Tip of the hat to the last three words of Juro's post. I suspect he's dead on correct. "CYA." I'd be more inclided to offer 'hippers' rather than chest waders. Remember, it's 'body weight' that holds you in place on the river bottom. Current/water debth want to "counter act" that bit of news. The ability to 'deep wade' may just be an accident looking for a place to happen.

Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion hippers are worthless for kids and here's why.

My grandson Josh has a pair of hippers that I have ground the lugs off and added felt. We have a strict "no farther then the knees" rule which he follows pretty closely. With the hippers when he loses it and falls on his butt they fill right up, with chest highs he will still be dry, or mostly dry. I have proved this therory to myself on several occasions.

As to the liability issue it only points out what a sad state of affairs our society is in. Taking this to the extreme I will stop renting fly rods because my customer hooked himself in the eye and I didn't furnish him with shades. I should also stop using the "test drive plan" on spey rods as there is a possibility the tester could fall in and drown and I didn't have a life guard on duty. What in the Hell ever happened to personal responsibility? I already know the answer.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I feel better now and I'm still listening.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Mike,

I think it a great idea and if the parent is taking a kid out without a PFD, that is the paren't fault. Personally, I think they would be an idiot not to have the kid wear one but either way that is there call, not yours.

Regardless if you have a weekly, monthly, season rate, I would have an option for a daily rental. $20 a day for waders and boots seems a little steep to me. $5 a day would seem more in line.

Duggan

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this same thread going on Dornblaser's forum and one of the members there just posted that Cabelas now has youth boot foot waders for $40.00. That is an affordable price from anyone's standpoint and would make my idea pointless.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
exellent idea

I'll go along with Tip on that. And to get around any liability issues, I would suggest you only rent to someone 18 yrs or older (kid's parents really) with a valid credit card. That way you rented to an adult. If they chose to put their kid into waders and place said kidlet in the river,,,,it's their fault if anything happens.:lildevl:

How about extending that idea to float tube and fins as well?

As far as the rental rate goes, that's up to you. If you want to offer a discount to really good customers, or perhaps apply the rental towards purchase if they decide to buy, whatever.

Anything to get a kid out fishing is a good thing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts