Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana once did an article on building custom lines and talked about using kevlar loops. I can only ever find nylon loops and they aren't as durable as I'd like. Can anyone point me in the direction of kevlar loops.

Gillie

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I have them and I think Aaron, Bachmann, Kaufmanns, and Michael and Young do also.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I need to get some because my maxima leader chews throught the nylon cortland ones. None of the shops in our area had even heard of them. I'll order a few packs monday.

Gillie

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What are you doing different?

Gillie, I have had mono loops on a couple of lines for several years. I use the green maxima and have yet to have it chew through a mono loop, so I am wondering what we are doing differently?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ted,
I am typically using 30 lb Maxima chameleon for the butt of my leader looped to the sink tip. I could be mistaken but I think the chameleon is stiffer than the green. However, I may be unfairly attributing the damage to my leader. The most common run I fish is littered with boulders with rather sharp edges. The reality is I'm lucky if I get two or three seasons out of a type 8 tip before it has too many cuts and nicks to keep using it. This is also the reason I've gone to the Maxima. It's very possible that I'm damaging the loop on rock edges. Either way I'm hopeful that the Kevlar will give me a longer life.

Gillie

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried the Kevlar Loops some years ago and found them to be very strong but very brittle they were anything but supple. They would last a long time time and were strong but they frayed and were very stiff and all the rough fibers caused all manner of problems I now use the nylon ones and am more than happy with them.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Compromise

Gillie you might try coating the mono loop with aquaflex or something similar. That should provide protection for the mono loop comparable to the tips themselves. I assume that life expectancy comparable to the sinking tip material would work for you.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Gillie,

The manner in which you "Loop-to-loop" may be causing the problem. When you attach the loops do you make sure that the resulting connection looks like a "square knot"? If it doesn't, you will be forming a cutting connection that will where the loops out very quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.