Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts/experiences/advice on spey fishing the Kenai river? Residents fish or salmon? Any recommendations for gear?

May have a chance to spend some time up there this summer and would love to be spey fishing? If the Kenai is a lousy idea, what about the other rivers in the area?

Never been to Alaska, so I am picking the community's collective brain...

Good luck to anyone getting out.

Slint

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, if things work out I'll be up there for a large chunk of the summer, June through labor day.

I'll be on my own for a lot of it, but would be up for hiring guides for a day or two here and there.

PM me and we can chat more, if you'd be up for it.

Otherwise, I've got a 7 weight with a multi line which I imagine will be great for resident bows, dollys and coho. Probably want something bigger, too.

The little bit of research I've done points to egg flies and flesh flies being most common. This sound correct? Naturally I'd rather swing streamers and wets, maybe skate muddlers or something. Am I totally off the mark?

The scale of the river looks perfect for the spey rod, but I worry about swinging and snagging sockeye when they are in...any thoughts? Maybe tube flies with upturned hooks, to keep them from catching anything that doesn't bite.

We'll see. Just starting to look into it. Thanks for any feedback.

Slint

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.