Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I drank the cool aid....read a write up on these about how the guy doesn't like gloves but gets cold hands..always looking but hasn't found anything worth a damn...

Then the magic happens and he tries the Kaest glove...WOW...life is changed and they are great...

One born every minute..Mine arrived and they are snug but bulky at the finger tips...there is no way in hell you could tie a fly on with these...I also seriously doubt you can feel you line what so ever with them on....The wrist cuffs are so thick that getting it under a jacket is not going to be fun....

I was showing them to the guys at the shop and the general consensus wasn't good....so i'm standing there looking at the 20 dollar or such simms freestone ones...and this year they have the mitten thing that comes off when tying on a fly etc. and I bought those and am quite happy...

Not Impressed!!!

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Hi
I use silk gloves inside of black mechanics nitrile gloves with an elastic band around my wrist in case I put my hand into the water to far. With a little practice I can tie on a hook or join a couple of leaders together. I believe the gloves were about 12 to 15 bucks and the nitrile are about 12 bucks per 12 pair. You need to put a little talcom powder or baby powder in the nitrile gloves periodically to help them slip on easier. The nitrile come in a short wrist or long wrist length. I'll be buying a second set of silk gloves this year in case I do get a pair wet.
Bjay

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Yup. That's the trade-off with warm and waterproof gloves. No feel. Kast has released the MX Pro version which they say is thinner. That might be a better option but again a trade-off of colder fingers.

I've concluded there's no magic solution.

OK, I drank the cool aid....read a write up on these about how the guy doesn't like gloves but gets cold hands..always looking but hasn't found anything worth a damn...

Then the magic happens and he tries the Kaest glove...WOW...life is changed and they are great...

One born every minute..Mine arrived and they are snug but bulky at the finger tips...there is no way in hell you could tie a fly on with these...I also seriously doubt you can feel you line what so ever with them on....The wrist cuffs are so thick that getting it under a jacket is not going to be fun....

I was showing them to the guys at the shop and the general consensus wasn't good....so i'm standing there looking at the 20 dollar or such simms freestone ones...and this year they have the mitten thing that comes off when tying on a fly etc. and I bought those and am quite happy...

Not Impressed!!!

G

·

Not Impressed!!!
Well, consider that cold in the PNW is completely different than COLD in the Great Lakes area. I can fish during the 40*F rainy and windy conditions with the typical wool or fleece glove of which I have more than a dozen pairs. However, when it gets truly cold, 10*-15*F and windy, that's a different story. The Kast is the first glove I've owned that actually works under those conditions. No, I can't tie a fly on with the gloves on, but I can't tie one on with frozen fingers in a fleece glove, either. A good jacket with Velcro strips in the cuff allow the gloves to be put on easily. It is a bit of a hassle to then remove them to tie knots, etc. but the alternative for me around here is to just stay home and watch football. If you don't need something that good, I sure wouldn't spend the dough as they are not cheap. However, my hands were the last part of my body I've found a product that works to keep it warm. The inconvenience is minor when it means truly warm hands, especially fingers.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you fish in -15* F ?

I didn't consider them for ice fishing....then again, I don't ice fish...

Guess they would work as I wouldn't care to lift a fish out of the water at that temp..

·
Registered
175 Posts
He did not say "-15" he said 10 - 15. I fish the GL area as well. Heading there on Friday with a predicted weather forecast of 25 as a high. I wear bulky gloves in those conditions as well. When it is 35- 40 and not raining I have no problems with no gloves at all. It all depends on where you fish and what you are use to! I carry two pairs with me and swap them out if the first pair gets wet. Always try to remember to take them off before I try and land a fish. My current favorite is a pair from Simms with removable mitten top over fingerless gloves

Quinn

·
Registered
860 Posts
xgolfman:
I must take exception on two fronts!

First----I loved your old avatar, and now it more fishing related, but less inspiring!

Second---- I got back this PM from fishing the Deschutes at 4-~16 degrees for three days. I wore, and appreciated my Kast gloves except when I took them off to change or tie on flies (or to pass coffee). My daughter with Reynard's (sp?) syndrome (cold hands in moderate conditions) wore them two weeks ago and did ok. She also took them off to do the technical stuff.

They're not pretty, they're not like nitrile, but they're waterproof and thus warmer than fishing with gloves that get wet when fishing cold conditions.

Different strokes I guess...........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Paul,
I was at the my local shop recently and I have to admit, for once I totally agree with you!!:) I bought the simms half fingers with the mitten flap!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I was more disappointed as the thread stated the guy was NOT taking them off and they were great...so much of it sounded exactly like what I go through and so i thought that these gloves would be perfect...

I wear the half fingers in the largest size i can find and then pull my fingers back inside when i have to...Haven't found a full glove that has ever worked as was described..

IF I would have seen them first I wouldn't have bought them...the cuff deal is pretty tough...

Now if I am floating a river i could wear them for that or while outside doing other things...but not while fishing..those half finger mitten ones will get a shot...they were redesigned and I think i could get a hot pack in the top if needed...

I've fished in 20* weather here.....don't much care for it...fighting frozen guides and flies...I will take off whatever glove system i have to get the fish off while still under the water....(unless a hatchery brat) Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get out...but I would still rather go with the $20 something ones..

This is about the only time i'll take a fish out of the water when below freezing..

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Golfman,

Great pictures there.

These gloves have been getting a lot of hype lately but I haven't seen that many actual USER reviews. I don't want to be the guinea pig at $80.

I am still searching for the magic answer to waterproof/wind proof and being comfortable to wear!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fished the Muskegon River in Michigan from 7:30 till 5. Temperature was 19 degrees and rose to 23 degrees. Winds were gusting at times with a few breaks between snow squalls. Wore the kast gloves all day except for eating lunch. Had a guide so all the knots and such were tied for me. I would not have been able to tie the necessary knots with the gloves on. Did manage line better than I would have thought. Used grip shooter running line :tsk_tsk: will try Varivas tomorrow. Hands were warm as long as the wind didn't blow to hard. After a while the rod hand would get cold and the stripping hand was warm from doing all the movement. My cousin had the finger less gloves with the mitten, and installed heaters. After about a half hour, he could no longer strip line and fished with the mittens on with no shooting line just fished the head. Can't figure out why the kast gloves are waterproof but both hands got cold when the wind blew hard. Anyways thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Will try them the rest of the weekend but I will be tying my own knots. More reviews to come as I haven't been taking them on and off.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here's a few examples of them in use. I find myself using them as much for fishing applications as everything else. They are warm and waterproof.

For many years I used nitrile gloves, handwarmers, and fingerless wool. I find The Kast gloves to work much better.

To each their own...

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can't figure out why the kast gloves are waterproof but both hands got cold when the wind blew hard.
I'm fairly sure that the Kast gloves get the waterproofing by use of "OutDry" fabric. Other companies use this for products too, I have waterproof gloves from Mountain Hardwear that use the same fabric.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I fish with the glacier gloves with just the index finger tip and thumb tip on each glove exposed the other fingers are enclosed. I find this to be the best compromise and able to tie knots when needed.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stosiak,
Could you feel the line or hold it when casting?

Does the cuff not bother you guys??? it sure feels like it would be awfully bulky trying to get it under your jacket...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Brady yes we fished with kevin. Dennis caught 2 me none. Had several good pulls.

Xgolf the wrist are a little work but with a lttle time with them I think I can make them work.

As for feel the line I'm not sure about feel as I watched my striping. I'll try not to watch while stripping to see today.

I had no problem hold the line. I will try with varivas running line today. It is a lot colder today 11*-23*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts