Spey Pages banner

JW Young 1540

941 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Botsari 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm selling a my Young 1540. $85, I'll cover shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
These have an extra wide foot. I remember the one I owned for a while had a bit of trouble fiting tightly into many modern reel seats I tried. I got it mainly at the time to balance a long English-made rod and it had a wider reel seat so it was no issue, but you might want to post the width of the foot in mm so people can try to check before they buy.

#6 ·
I use mine on a G. Loomis pro4x 7/8 and it just fits. My other young built reels will not. Young built beaudex and another that the name escapes me atm the foot is wider and longer on all of them. My 15ft 10wt will accommodate all of them.

I might be interested? Where are you located? Pm me if needed.

Dan

#7 ·
To be clear, I found that on some of the smaller/modern seats the “toe” of the foot - the front of the curved end of the foot kind of poked into the slots but not very far. So when tightened up the reel was in, but not in “as intended”. On some of seats it was not quite all the way in, but seemed secure, but on a few I would have been tempted to use duct tape for added security. :) No matter what, I’m sure the buyer could make it work. But on some smaller seats it might be a candidate for filing down the foot. But if you are looking for a nice, inexpensive but heavy reel to balance a heavy and/or longer rod this model is probably one of the best choices. Not trying to dissuade anyone!

Might be better to try it with only one check engaged.

#8 ·
To be clear, I found that on some of the smaller/modern seats the “toe” of the foot - the front of the curved end of the foot kind of poked into the slots but not very far.
This is exactly what I have found with the 1540 on my Pro4x. It has not been a problem at all. I love this combination. The other 2 youngs I have are longer and the seat will not open enough to accommodate them so they get used on another rod.

Dan

#9 ·
Yes, lenght can be another issue with this one!

For seats that are not technically wide enough it seems to depend on the exact shape of seat slots relative to the shape of the foot, with results ranging from completely fine to unusable without alterations..

I’m sure dealing with this kind of issue is old hat for the people who have many older reels, but I think this was the first one I owned that was a bit of a challenge in this regard.

Should be a good deal for someone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.