Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and it's seems to be a really good one.
As scandinavian I'm pretty much into the underhand casting technique, but was wondering little about the speycast most of you guys prefer. If any of you can do both techniques which one do you prefer?

I see that you are talking a little bit about the Loop products and I have to mention that it's great stuff. Have used Loop and Sage (Which Goran used to work with a couple of years ago developing rods for the underhand cast) and I know that the roods and lines are not the problem when casting gets poor! ;)

Excuse my bad english.

/Routhburg of Sweden

·
Registered
545 Posts
Howdy! And welcome.

First off your English is great, as good as mine and I only speak/write one language.

Being a student of casting in general, I am trying to learn Underhand and Skagit as well as Spey. I have been casting the double handers for 10 years but am new to Underhand but I am having fun with it. In my way of thinking all have their place and therefore I would try to use the most efficient cast per the specific situation. An example would be...big river with plenty of room for the belly/D loop and a long cast=long bellied line and a spey cast. Or...small to large river with little room for the back cast=Underhand. And anytime a verylarge and heavy fly is needed=Skagit. Now, all of that being said, I sometimes just feel like fishing one way or the other and so I do not follow any strict guidelines. Also, while fishing say a long bellied line and spey casting I have reverted to a Skagit or Underhand cast to avoid obstacles.

All of us would probably pick a favorite style of casting based on our home waters or rivers we fish the most. Myself, if I had to choose one style it would be Spey based on where I fish. However, being able to go to a Underhand or Skagit when conditions are best suited to those casts seems like a good thing to do.

Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts