Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This you could say is my first true freestyle. I'm callin this one Gaddy's Tooth.
This is by far and away my most difficult, technical, and dare I say badass fly to date, without a doubt.
I'm still a little shocked that I pulled this thing off. Man, if you could see the smile on my face! 馃槂

I just started tyin a Gaddy style fly knowing that I was going to do something different for the wing and overall look to the fly. I ended up deciding for the collars and wing exactly what you see here. A miracle really. Tenting wings is more than a struggle for me, and it usually ends to be a complete and udder failure. This time, however, I told myself, I'm gettin this **** no matter how long it takes. And yea, it took a while 馃槄. At least 1.5-2 dozen tries, but I got it. Then in went the accents, and on when the crest. I'd never attempted a topping before, but I got it right off the bat. Shocked the hell outa me, but maybe it shouldn't have. I was on a roll baby! Anyway, sorry to ramble, I'm just so happy right now. Seriously can't even believe that I actually tied this thing! I'll leave the recipe down below the pics in case you wanna give it a go. Hope you like it!

Pollinator Insect Arthropod Flower Liquid

Pollinator Insect Arthropod Flower Liquid

Gaddy's Tooth
Tip: Medium Oval Silver Tinsel
Tag: Fl. Yellow Silk
Tail: GP crest , Red GP Tippet
Body: Pink Silk , Hot Pink Seal Fur
Ribbing: Large Flat Silver Tinsel
Hackle: Hot Orange Gadwall
Collar: Red Schlappen , Teal
Wing: 4 Black RNP Rump Feathers &
2 Hot Orange GP Body Feathers
Topping: GP Crest

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Like in all the pics I post, it still needs another coat of lacquer.
Don't worry, those teeny ridges will cease to be.
She'll be smooth as a marble after that. :cool:

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Go for sparser hackle as in strip one side before wrapping and don鈥檛 even think jungle cock would look out of place. The crest work is outstanding

Reactions: fishin4herbs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go for sparser hackle as in strip one side before wrapping and don鈥檛 even think jungle cock would look out of place. The crest work is outstanding
Thanks man. I actually did strip the feathers, hackle and collars.
One and a half turns of both the schlappen and the teal, underside first.
I think I did do a full turn on the gadwall at the end of the ribbing then plucked the barbs at the top of only that front wrap.
If I did without the schlappen, it'da been a lot sparser for sure, but I wanted some red up front.
I wish it was a lil sparser myself. Too many thick-burbled webby feathers. Rookie mistake.
Thanks for the tips.

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Thanks man. I actually did strip the feathers, hackle and collars.
One and a half turns of both the schlappen and the teal, underside first.
I think I did do a full turn on the gadwall at the end of the ribbing then plucked the barbs at the top of only that front wrap.
If I did without the schlappen, it'da been a lot sparser for sure, but I wanted some red up front.
I wish it was a lil sparser myself. Too many thick-burbled webby feathers. Rookie mistake.
Thanks for the tips.
With schlappen if you crush the barbs with your thumbnail the fibers separate and can give you a sparser look or just go to a cheap Chinese cape

Reactions: fishin4herbs
1 - 15 of 15 Posts