Spey Pages banner
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Some wings and some of my tools… the T2 mini flat iron is my little feather tamer…it will make a stem do anything …need a right or a left,,, stroke left! Stroke right! Done!

·
flytie09
1,479 Posts
Great stuff. Can you explain how you’re using the iron? I’ve tried ironing feathers before and could not achieve the results I was after. If steam didn’t bring them back to proper state….. Ive always assumed all was lost. I’m curious what you’re doing.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Great stuff. Can you explain how you’re using the iron? I’ve tried ironing feathers before and could not achieve the results I was after. If steam didn’t bring them back to proper state….. Ive always assumed all was lost. I’m curious what you’re doing.
I’m trying to upload a video and it’s not working… if you go to my Instagram page @salmonsteelsox you can see my video showing how to..

·
flytie09
1,479 Posts
Interesting. I do the same with my fingernail on saddles that are wigged out when I don’t want to break out the tea kettle. Are you doing the same with tail feathers?

Thanks for sharing this.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Interesting. I do the same with my fingernail on saddles that are wigged out when I don’t want to break out the tea kettle. Are you doing the same with tail feathers?

Thanks for sharing this.
Yes, I needed to correct some snaffoo’d turkey and some Argus and it worked fine…

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
3rd TIH … the wings are surprisingly easier to set off the vice then on, I have never achieved such a low wing set while on the vice. Plus I’m mobile which is conducive with 2 little ones running around :)

·
Administrator
19,712 Posts
Dude, that is awesome!!
Definitely my kind of offering. Full of contrast and movement, very nice ... I'm pinching this one!!

Mike

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Reset the wings on this in-hand tie that fell apart…added a tip of light blue pheasant rump on the throat too.

·
flytie09
1,479 Posts
I can’t believe you’re doing these in hand. Good for you.

I will say one thing. It’s not a criticism in any way. I stick to the 5 turns of tinsel and try to keep hackle sparse. There are exceptions to this of as in anything in life like when using multiple ribbings, body sections, etc. but it’s a rarity when you look at older examples.

More than 6 turns with hackle like that can get a bit bushy. Listen…… I’m not an expert. And yes you can say you love 7x….. I’m simply stating my observations with what I see, what I tend to do wrong / right in my own eyes and from comments I hear from guys that fish way more than I get to.

You want these flies to sink. To much of certain materials will cause them to undergo the parachute effect and they will not sink. No matter what tip type/length or cast angle you use.

Mike was on the Upstate on the Fly podcast recently and this is one design element he discusses and strongly emphasizes after his observations that really stood out to me and something I try to do.

I’ll admit….. mine do lean on the bushy side….. but I do my best to make them sparse.

Good luck.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I can’t believe you’re doing these in hand. Good for you.

I will say one thing. It’s not a criticism in any way. I stick to the 5 turns of tinsel and try to keep hackle sparse. There are exceptions to this of as in anything in life like when using multiple ribbings, body sections, etc. but it’s a rarity when you look at older examples.

More than 6 turns with hackle like that can get a bit bushy. Listen…… I’m not an expert. And yes you can say you love 7x….. I’m simply stating my observations with what I see, what I tend to do wrong / right in my own eyes and from comments I hear from guys that fish way more than I get to.

You want these flies to sink. To much of certain materials will cause them to undergo the parachute effect and they will not sink. No matter what tip type/length or cast angle you use.

Mike was on the Upstate on the Fly podcast recently and this is one design element he discusses and strongly emphasizes after his observations that really stood out to me and something I try to do.

I’ll admit….. mine do lean on the bushy side….. but I do my best to make them sparse.

Good luck.
As always! I appreciate your feedback. The style of fly I was aiming towards and I haven’t actually looked the pattern up is the Riach (sp) style with cock hackle… they really appeal to me. These are the first few but I will sparse them up a bit :) ….I like the bush! Lol hahahahaha

121 - 140 of 166 Posts