Spey Pages banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You are doing very well :)
Just as a note, be mindful of the thickness of the wing slips. Thick wing slips split they also can cause the fly to not keel properly.
Thin slips last longer without splitting and glide through on the swing with ease.

Mike
On the fly above I originally tied in GP for the wing and it fell apart so I wrapped Argus on top of it :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Great tail set and body! Nice wing (you can even go with a few less fibers in the wing if you'd like...it's best to keep the wing mount atop the hook shank instead of slipping down the sides). The length of jungle cock in proportion to the dressing is very nice as well.

Awesome progress

·
Administrator
19,353 Posts
Adrian is bang on with his comments, go thinner and set the slips on top the shank.
Side mounted slips will split under tension.
Very nice color scheme on that fly. The body has a nice taper, not too fuzzy either, ribbing had special attention to ensure even spaces - very nice!!

Mike

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Great tail set and body! Nice wing (you can even go with a few less fibers in the wing if you'd like...it's best to keep the wing mount atop the hook shank instead of slipping down the sides). The length of jungle cock in proportion to the dressing is very nice as well.

Awesome progress
EVEN LESS? :) :) j/k .... is it acceptable to tie the wing slips over atop each other or is the expectation to set them side by side on the shank at the tie in point? I can see a smaller slip not rolling over the shank too, I just have to get over my big is better mindset :)
Thank you Mike and Adrian for the feedback, appreciate it!

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
great progression, here is the link to Marty's tutorial on dee wing sets here on SP's
dee-wings-how-to.38690
That’s crazy!!! :) so Marty makes the wings ahead of time, I never would of thought about that, golden! I’ll try and do a couple tonight if I have time. Thanks for the link bwodun!

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Last night was very satisfying just focusing on wings. Usually I’m trying to get a fly completed with anxiety building as I get to the wing part, this seems to simplify that process and I can focus on building a great body and not sweat the wing attachment. I’m actually excited to do some more wings tonight instead of completing a fly. Any tips on the married duck wing would be appreciated! Thanks so much for all the feedback and comments. I appreciate you!
cheers- bhudda

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Honestly ..... looking at all those slips pre made is just as satisfying as looking at a finished fly. The delta wings are the focal point for me..the body and head just the framing of the picture if you will. I’m drawn to pics of birds eye view dee flies on IG, etc., and the flow they give the fly. Visually appealing is what I say :)

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Your hook, your rules!
Remember years back when I shunned these flies? I wouldn’t fish it if I could sight fish with a guaranteed hook up! I wanted to fish leeches and big gaudy monsters, and didn’t believe in the classic fly, it wasn’t big enough in my mind. I laugh today at my ignorance and enjoy the new path ahead. Brian, you’ve always tied beautiful flies, and I’m sorry for being a hard head. (BELIEVE ME GUYS, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT HE PUTS UP WITH :) lol)

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I tried setting the wings on the hook and they just wouldn’t set right so I unwrapped them and tied them in hand, then set them on the hook and finished the fly.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts