Spey Pages banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,861 Posts
Great tying for sure, if I may offer one area for potential improvement (hate doing this as I have so many shortcomings) do some searches for images of flies your going to tie and focus on proportions, visually to me your flies seem a bit heavy in relation to the style

Keep at it fantastic work Wayne

Reactions: bhudda

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Wayne, I’m all for feedback, don’t worry about that, I actually appreciate it. Been watching a lot of Davey Mcphail videos...he makes it look so easy :) I actually tried to set the wings on this fly like a lady Caroline and they go to vee wings...go figure

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,861 Posts
Did you have the long ends of the fibers on top back to back? was your tie in point flat with a slight angle not too much past 20 degree and not wrap towards the tail? Those pointers made the difffernce for me Thanks SpeyPages
Thanks Wayne, I’m all for feedback, don’t worry about that, I actually appreciate it. Been watching a lot of Davey Mcphail videos...he makes it look so easy :) I actually tried to set the wings on this fly like a lady Caroline and they go to vee wings...go figure

Reactions: bhudda

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did you have the long ends of the fibers on top back to back? was your tie in point flat with a slight angle not too much past 20 degree and not wrap towards the tail? Those pointers made the difffernce for me Thanks SpeyPages
Tips were back to back and I tried to tie forward of the cinch point, I’ll keep trying to get them flatter and watch that 20% mark.

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
You are progressing very well in my opinion :)
The body taper is very consistent, nice and thin - well done.
Body hackle is spot on in my opinion.
Are you stripping off one side of the collar hackle, it seems a bit dense in my opinion. Strip off one side of the feather and do 1-2 wraps, more than adequate and will reduce bulk up front and allow the current to flow through the materials.
The wing slips are a tad long in my opinion. They should end where the tail does.

This is a very fishy offering and believe it will find you a player. Swing it with confidence :)

Mike

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The wings are a bugger...still need some one on one with that instruction. Hopefully Brian will be swinging by today ...cough cough :)
The new vise is sweet but I’m noticing the big game jaw is marring the hook where it holds on the bend. Does anyone pad the jaws? I’m thinking a thin pc. of felt? I don’t really think it will compromise the hooks integrity but it did put some nicks in it, which if avoidable, I’d rather avoid. Advice welcome and thank you Mike for the feedback, I will peel one side off the hackle next time.
cheers-Jeffreylee

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This one felt great, the trick tip Brian showed me today helped tremendously. I didn’t feel like I wasted material, that’s a goal :)
Cheers to Dennis too! What an inspiring group of folks, I feel lucky!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts