Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently turned my whole tying box over and rid it of anything that resembles “streamer,intruder,tubes,shanks,rugrats, and bou’”. It now only holds material for classic, dee, and Spey flies. I’m ready for a new venture in my love of this sport and the ball got rolling when I received the most wonderful gift from @DWorley . The inspiration to go further is feverish now, buying all new material and a new vise. Waiting patiently for my swarm of feathers to arrive... this is what I’ve cranked out so far. My heads need a lot of work so I left them out as you couldn’t pass a tippet thru for your life :) lol
thanks for looking

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
As the years pass you start to wonder why these traditional patterns are still around ... because they work :)

I'm sure you will be tutored well. If I can offer up something in advance, it would be planning your build. Have a good understanding of what you want to tie prior to the start. Plan your start points, divide each segment of the build. How much room you need to allow for every part, body, hackles, wing and collar ... allowing enough room for each and each step after. This is your key to proportions. Once understood, you then can concentrate on material flow. The pattern is irrelevant, so are the colors. Once the basics are honed, switch up the colors and keep your proportions. You'll quickly realize that you are tying the same fly, just in different colors and materials ;)
Practice is the key.

I learned to tie a consistent fly by a 5-step program. Not a published program, well maybe if you read my past posts.

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mike has great advice, to add pick a pattern like a lady Caroline or a black heron for example. They catch fish and tie a few so you can get a feel of how the materials handle when tied on the hook. Have fun with the different wing types and I would use substitute classic materials until you get the pattern down. I will help swarm you with materials that I dye up.

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
#aflyanight
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Thank you Mike for the advice. I went looking for poopy hooks today to keep practicing on and couldn’t find any so I pulled out an AJ 1.5 hook and used 1 of 2 BEP hackles I have till the mail arrives tomorrow. I am satisfied with this wing set, still need work on the head :)

·
Fishes with Wolves
424 Posts
I’ve recently turned my whole tying box over and rid it of anything that resembles “streamer,intruder,tubes,shanks,rugrats, and bou’”. It now only holds material for classic, dee, and Spey flies. I’m ready for a new venture in my love of this sport and the ball got rolling when I received the most wonderful gift from @DWorley . The inspiration to go further is feverish now, buying all new material and a new vise. Waiting patiently for my swarm of feathers to arrive... this is what I’ve cranked out so far. My heads need a lot of work so I left them out as you couldn’t pass a tippet thru for your life :) lol
thanks for looking View attachment 379695 View attachment 379696 View attachment 379697
Keep some bou. A turn of a one side stripped tip makes a nice addition. Look at the cover of Art Lingren's latest book. You'll see a few strands of purple on that Orange Heron.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I did that a number of years ago and the only slippage I have had is with marabou. I am on a year long Floodtide kick for the Skagit.
And they are purty.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts