Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting experience this week end. I have a 8/9 wt Redington two hander. I have quite a few lines I can throw with it which work great but I have been experimenting with a 10 wt SA Salmon Steelhead line which is a long belly weight forward line intended for a single hander. The line is one I cut for tips and I had been using a set of 10 foot type III and type VI tips on it for a single hander which casts fine (I cut 75 % of the forward taper off and put on a braided loop). These tips were not casting well on the 8/9 two hander so I decided to make some shorter 6 foot tips and the results were even worse. I have a couple of commercially made tips for an SA 10 wt salt water line which are 15 ft long. I put on the type VII 15 foot tip and to my surprise it cast like a charm, I threw a double spey nice and slow and shot a bunch of line into the forward cast, the line and whole tip rolled out in a nice tight loop and the fly went plunk at the end. It warms my heart Ill tell you.

Natrix

·
Registered
711 Posts
Like that story. I'm beginning to think that one of the charms of spey--there are so many--is that the mystery of the spey rod itself matches perfectly the mystery of the quarry. So much of it's counterintuitive, at least to me: if my inclination is to think I need shorter tips for this particular rod, odds are I need longer ones. Still can't get over how easing up on the cast, relaxing your hands, and just thinking about what your bottom hand is doing, can make all the difference. Maybe I just have a low threshold for wonder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Line story

I suppose there is a physical explanation for this, some complex and elegant dynamic model that would explain it all. Though Im not so sure I would be all that interested in it. I think Id rather just tinker with it and let the mystery be as they say. There are some really nice tips lines out there and I have several, but some how Im drawn to tinkering with the line in the same way I build rods and tie flies and in the old days twisted a few nuts on the old VW.

Natrix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts