Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just about everything that could have gone wrong while tying this one did and forced me to look for an alternative plan. Finally finished after an enjoyable 2 hours!, I think it turned out fishable, but only doing so will tell if it was worth the effort! Whew, hope the next one flows. Thanks for looking! Oh yeah, criticism always welcome.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,014 Posts
Just a Spey gesh that is like saying just a Cadillac

I really like that fly

Reactions: steelguy

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flytie09, you hit it right on the head! I never, or seldom add a GP crest because I simply do not know how. This fly was my feable attempt when finished, although I knew it sat too high and was awfully sparse, I was actually proud having taken the first step in getting it to sit upright centered on the hook shank. The wings I've got, I am sure to the expected bordem on many here, and all the other basics are easy, but Dee's, crests, tying in hand (seriously want to frustrate myself this winter with that!) are well beyond my skills and never can help but admire the fine examples I see here. Anyhow, thanks for the criticism, I will quietly work on the technique.

·
flytie09
1,079 Posts
Topping mallard wings isn't unheard of. A suggestion....try an underwing of a small clump of hair (squirrel or arctic fox tail) to elevate the mallard wing a little bit. That might help with setting the wing and make shaping / setting the gp crest a little easier. Like this..a Harry Lemire Golden Edge Orange.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very excellent, I will definitely try that. That fly is beautiful! Thanks

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,014 Posts
That is a great tip and great fly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts