Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
724 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Yea...we need to see more of your tying...that's crackin' work!

I need to add that the precise ribbing work plus the perfect setting of the jungle cock eyes speaks volumes of your skillset.

Also need to mention that maybe 80% of fly tyers will have less than stellar success with proportions on that style of hook; yet your start and finish is perfection.

One last thing(s): I love your choice of length on the heron. A lot of us choose heron that is way too long for the hook (which gets shredded by the hook point, or tangles up on the hook). Your hackle choice has perfect balance and functionality. Finally the head and gut eye deserves praise...I have seen many a wonderfully tied fly capped off with a terrible head or a gut loop too long ruining the aesthetics.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea...we need to see more of your tying...that's crackin' work!

I need to add that the precise ribbing work plus the perfect setting of the jungle cock eyes speaks volumes of your skillset.

Also need to mention that maybe 80% of fly tyers will have less than stellar success with proportions on that style of hook; yet your start and finish is perfection.

One last thing(s): I love your choice of length on the heron. A lot of us choose heron that is way too long for the hook (which gets shredded by the hook point, or tangles up on the hook). Your hackle choice has perfect balance and functionality. Finally the head and gut eye deserves praise...I have seen many a wonderfully tied fly capped off with a terrible head or a gut loop too long ruining the aesthetics.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words. Any success I have is largely due to helpful advice from other tiers far more skilled than myself and inspiration I derive from them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats....a very elegantly dressed and strikingly attractive pattern. Yellow and Black colour blends are proven killers with the classic Jock Scott, Ackroyd, and the Gaspe pattern, the Yellow Picasse, old reliables for salmon and steelies.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
I agree on the colors. I had early success, as a kid, with a Black Ghost and have liked those colors since then!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts