Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a fun one to try. I've been eying this fly for a while and finally just gave it a go. I think it should fish well.

Tied on a Blue Heron hook for fishing.

The wings are wanting to go every which way, so it was a challenge to get them to behave some.

I need a lot more practice with toppings. I found getting a topping that fit the fly for the aesthetics I wanted was tough. The results are fine, but not great.

I learned a lot tying this fly, its much more challenging than it looks. I want to tie more for fishing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i would highly recommend putting a lock on your fly wallet if this guy is in it next week! I tried one of these once.... I now have a bare hook to try something else on! haha like you said the JC just wanted to go every direction other than straight. purely for looks i would have liked to see the wing/topping get closer to touching the tail but for fishing this is just right, for me there is nothing better than a long tail swaying in the current. out of the park sir!

oh and that rib work!!!!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
yeah dude, rib work, and the finish on the shape and length is perfect...:saeek:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i would highly recommend putting a lock on your fly wallet if this guy is in it next week! I tried one of these once.... I now have a bare hook to try something else on! haha like you said the JC just wanted to go every direction other than straight. purely for looks i would have liked to see the wing/topping get closer to touching the tail but for fishing this is just right, for me there is nothing better than a long tail swaying in the current. out of the park sir!

oh and that rib work!!!!
i dont think this pattern fit well for a tail/ topping/wing touching. deft a open tail topping kinda of fly

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,

I agree so much about that tail, ahhh, that would have set it off, just need to tie another:smokin:

I am most proud of the ribbing and the head. It was a lot of material at the end and I thought I was gonna have a big unsightly head, but I did a good job of removing wraps between each material, and the head stayed manageable and clean. And honestly, after settling a day and not being handled by my super sweaty fingers, the wing toppings actually look pretty good today. they are fluffier and they are more the shape i wanted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What the others said! Very nice work! Let us know what the fish think.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, its gonna go looking for trouble on thursday if the week goes the way it should :smokin:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Fantastic bit of tying Matt. The body work is over the top.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts