Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wanted to train this black gordon pattern, since I want to do a prober job with the falcon feathers from my friend and I want to build a fly on the black gordon pattern, just with blue floss and some falcon strips. Not any falcon in this one, but I couldn't resist and slipped in som jungle cock hackles for wings and gave the flea some eyes - and yes - I forgot the tail ... ;-)

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have really enjoyed looking at all the flys you post.

Attention to detail is awesome, but your purportions rock! I find with some of mine they look good in the vise but once I take them out and look at them I start to notice the wing is to long and so on. I've learned lots from seeing your patterns I hope you keep posting them.

Thanks Søren!

Ben

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Nice work, Soren. That doesn't need a tail...the proportions and material balance is just right.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ben

Don't know how to reply properly on this, but first of all thank you for the kind words. I find that there is a very courteous and well-behaved criticism on this forum, sometime maybe a bit too kind. However, I have tied and learned much on my own before entering this forum. But since I joined this community I have learned so much so fast that I couldn't have anticipated it. And it is all you guys who post unreal flies and constructive criticism. You guys are the most inspiring teachers anyone could ask for! So for me, if you appreciate my feeble tying efforts as a yearling tyer, I can only say - pad yourself on your shoulders for the impact you have on me, and the synergy everyone is working to lift for all members on this forum. This forum rocks! ;-)

Søren

P.S. This fly taught me that the tail rules over the wing. If I had remembered the tail, the wing should've been longer - possibly extending beyond the hook bend depending on the lenght and curve of the tail. And this fly also spurred me to draw red on my GP crests with permanent marker - one of my first dying attempts LOL. Just too bad I forgot to tie it in ;-)

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
I've had good results with spruce-type flies on the Rogue over the past couple of years, and your well-dressed effort has me spurred to try some different techniques with my next attempts.

Well done Søren!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts