Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a JS Sharpe 14' 10/11wt and wanted to tap the wealth of knowledge on a possible line for this rod. Mostly a short head guy aka windcutter-esque belly length. Any ideas where I could start with trying lines for this beauty. Also curious what type of tape Bob Clay uses for his splicing as this rod uses the same technique. Is there an email address for Bob out there? If Meiser has gotten his rod from Clay I hope he replies. Aaron, Kinney, any ideas? Anyone else that has input concerning a modern line for this classic rod would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Spliced Scottie lines & tape

I don't have that rod but I've used 13' (marked #9) & 12' (#8) Spliced Scotties with the Windcutter 789. You might want to go up a size or go to the midspey. I'll be trying out a Mastery XLT 7/8 this weekend on the 12' and an 11' with ferrules, I hope.

My 13 footer has a powerful but slow parabolic action, where it seems to me you move the lower portion of the rod and the upper 2/3 thirds follows through shortly thereafter. I don't get the line speed for shooting, but it seems as if whatever line is outside the rod tip will go along for the ride. So I think a very nicely tapered medium or long belly line would be most suitable for relaxed casting, but getting the right balanced line will be some trial and error.

My 12 footer is a much more evenly progressive taper.

If you have nearby speyfishing friends, it really helps to try a lot of different lines. Please report back what you find.

The best tape I've found is good quality electrical tape - Scotch 3m 33+ or similar, that has some stretch to it.
This is available in colors at hardware stores. There is also a thinner 3M clear tape which is less of an aesthetic distraction from the bamboo, that I only find in very small rolls.

To tape, I put just a little piece temporarily at one end of the splice to hold it together and then spiral down from the other end - holding the tape stretched and rotating the rod. It is easiest if you hold it on your lap and start with the upper connection first.

The British person that I bought the 13' from recommended leaving the tip overlap about 1/4 inch shy of the red guideline marks to get a little more flex action at the splice.

One thing to remember when fishing it- put some good singlemalt in a flask, and when you get your line out on a nice drift, take a sip and raise the flask and shout Scottie!

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Vinnie

Vinne,

Thanks so much for the info! I will have the rod in my hands on monday and can't wait. I had not thought about mid/long belly lines for this rod but it definately makes sense with the recovery time and energy left to uncoil after forward stop. Have about 3 dozen lines that I could hunt around with and find a good match not to mention several superior casters who can give me input. As far as the singlemalt, I imagine my flask will empty far quicker casting this heavy stick but I can't wait.

Thanks, Nathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts