Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after fishing with kush, brian,juro,pete and ryan last winter on the sauk/skagit I have been in long rod lust for the past 4 months.

Well thanks to Juro I get to start in the game this weekend. I am borrowing one of his rods until I get a thomas and thomas 14' 9wt in the coming months. Just got a line on my new ross big game 7 and am going out for my first spey fishing experience on the skykomish this weekend. Then I will be down on the rogue for 5 days starting sept 9th.

I cannot wait to finally get out there and leave the single hander at home.

Look for many questions to come and it nice to finally be one of the spey gang.:D

-sean

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
You're hereby doomed to making funny arm motions while walking down the hallway at work, soon you will be looking for that bottom grip when single-handed casting, then you'll be up at o-dark thirty studying Simon in slo-mo (International Spey Casting Video) like some of us :rolleyes:

Dana's tips and insights throughout the 'pages as well as the great feedback from fellow 'clavers should set you straight. Greaselining time of year is the right time of year!

If you had one tip to offer Sean as he starts this journey, what would it be?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Welcome to Speyland, Sean!

My tip? Enjoy yourself, try out a lot of different stuff if you can (just 'cause it's fun), and when you find out what works best for you, stick with it and focus on the fishing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sean,

I have a tip too - remember when you are making those funny arm motions while sitting in your car at a stop light - that others can see you - its kind of like picking your nose!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
More "bad news."

The upper river is chock-a-block with summer steelhead. Best estimate is there's now over 5,000 fish in the top end of the river and the season's just kicking into high gear (Sept-October).

The "bad news" is where you're staying is about a 10 minute drive from one of the best custom rod makers in all of Oregon. (Gary Anderson in Gold Hill) Now what could be a better gift for the new Bride than a custom made Spey Rod?????:D

Just remember, it C and R on all wild fish at this time of the year so recommend barbless hooks. Also fish deep and greased line for very good results.

Fred

(PS: if you'd like an ïndian guide for a day (or better yet, a top end map of the river, shoot me your (e mall/home) address and I'll mail it to you asap.

Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts