Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two good novels by Oregon guide and professor, John Larison.
"Northwest of Normal" and his latest, "Holding Lies." Read "Normal" first
as there are sequential events. Sex, lies, violence, and lots of
great fishing-related issues. Spey Pages mentioned, as well.
Google them for more content.
Best,
lsteinb

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your mention of John Larison reminds me of a Larison that I used to see on NY's Salmon River back in the 1970"s. I think his name was Bob but my memory is'nt always the best. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if he could have been John's father? He had a guiding operation run out of an old gas station at the four corners in Pulaski. I think there's a bank on that lot now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larison

steelspey:
Looking at the book's acknowledgements, it would appear that his parents are
(were) Jim and Elaine. These books take place on and around the
fictional Ipsyniho River in Oregon. Umpqua????

He has another book (non-fiction) "The Complete Steelheader."
Haven't seen it yet.
Best to all,
lsteinb

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,366 Posts
I finished the second one last night. A fun read although the content is some depressing stuff. The fishing discussion is well done and it is easy to see that the author believes strongly in the ethics of steelhead fishing. I realize now I have read them in the wrong order but have already started on Northwest of Normal.

I recommend these.

'tip

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just finished "Holding Lies" and dug it. Dude is thinking about a lot of good stuff. Avoids the easy answers.

Gotta say, though: Larison, and I know you must read this stuff, the "joes" and subaru cracks hit a bit too close too home! :chuckle:

Slint

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cars

Slint:
I drive a Forester myself. Great vehicle!
I spend more time fishing and less time working on a car.
Best,
lsteinb

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ugh!

I am number 6 on a wait list at my local library for "Holding lies" Its killing me I want to read it now!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wish I could

Just not in the budget this month, however it and Northwest of Normalwill end up in my library eventually...in the mean time, I wait.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I read Holding Lies today. After I read most modern fiction, I am left disatisfied. FInding most books just a story that tackle no serious issues like some of the great writers. Not only is this book a great story, but it ambitiously tackles some real issues about humanity that some of the great writers challenged readers to comtemplate. Larison did a great job of challenging the reader to contemplate these real issues in a context that all of us anglers can relate to. This is a great book, dare I say a modern classic.

Plus after meeting John a few weeks ago, he is a heck of a nice guy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Northwest of Normal",I have already read.The humorous story of one village reinventing the american dream, interesting.One of my friend also recommended me"Holding Lies" to read.Just start last night...looks also good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Truly fine writer . . . wonderful books

I finished "Northwest of Normal" last night, immediately began "Holding Lies." I'm halfway through it.

I'm an old fart who guided my own region for 25 years (hung up my guide's waders last season), who was taught local tradition and lore under the wing of a much older man whose grandfather was one of the first Europeans to settle (and fish) in the mountains here.

It's wonderful to discover a young writer who understands and respects the profession of guiding as something far more connected to dwelling in place and stewardship than fish counts, a young professor and guide who criticizes his own generation's "hard chargers" who somehow managed to learn how to get published or catch fish without learning much else.

And yes, he's a truly fine writer whose books deal with the genuine moral complexities of being human.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Holding Lies

I'm currently reading Holding Lies as well. John writes with more intellect and thoughtfulness than most writers twice his age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts