Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fishing the John Day ??? Thought I might run over this week but dont want to just waste gas.

Thanks !!!!!

Skilly

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Hi Skilly, i would check the flows before heading out there, to day it is at 2150 cfs and rising. high and running dirty and with the rain and melting snow it will keep climbing, I would hold off and wait until it starts to drop,tight lines,brian

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
my home stompin' grounds...

but from my success, or lack there of, you'd never guess...
whiskey's response is on the mark... sunday, the 15th, water was gorgeous between kimberly and spray. good clarity, good flows... 4 day later, with the addition of rain and warming temps, it jumped 4' at service creek and 7000 cfs... the john day can get cranky real quick this time of the year... do a web search for john day river flows and get a hold of the USGS water guage info... when it gets down around 2,000-2,500, fishing conditions are usually the best, better obviously if they are on a down ward trend... good luck, rumor has it the fish are moving up, the gear guys are starting to pick them up around kimberly/NF confluence...
let me know if you can figure them out!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
water flows

Thanks, I was checking the flows at Service Creek and saw it jump. When I posted the original post it was low and clear. I went trout fishing on the Metolius instead.

I was hoping there might be somebody on the list that could just look out the window and tell me how it looked. All my friends that lived in that country have either passed on or moved away.

·
194 Posts
well, used to be in my back yard...

until last august, now i'm in paulina, government gig.
folks still live over there, tho, and i can get river updates from them... am hoping its back in shape next weekend...
how was the metolius?? have yet to fish that... want to try for bull trout this winter, but haven't gotten around to it....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John Day

I live in Prineville now. So I cant see over the hill to the JD :D

The Metolius was great. Got into 4 bulls and one nice rainbow about 7# biggest bull was about 10. All on small nymphs. The Rainbows are just about to start spawning so there are some nice ones coming up from the lake. also caught several smaller fish.

·
194 Posts
crowded?

many on the metolius?? trying to figure out what i'm going to do friday... watching the john day river levels, if it drops enough, will make the trip... otherwise, might try the metolius...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John Day

I`m watching the river levels to. Trying to decide which way to go.

With this warmer weather we are having Crooked should start fishing well. Nothing big but something to tug onyour line.

Maybe we can meet up and share a cup of coffee.

My email is [email protected]

·
194 Posts
sounds like a plan!!

[email protected]
will be in touch! let you know about the john day and what i hear....
tried the crooked on friday - had "issues" with a 2 year old dog, so not as much fishing as i was chasing her all over creation... picked up some whitefish and a few smaller trout.
feiger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts