Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BBCT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the John Day has a late summer run of steelhead that are fishable in December and January.

The first question is that true?
Second is it possible to access the river from the John Day and Long Creek highways. Looking at google maps it looks like there might be some road access.
What section of the river would people recommend searching for steelhead in? Above Kimberly or below it, or below Spray?

Thanks for any tips or hints anybody might have.

Chris -

·
Registered
207 Posts
After reading of the great "opportunity" the JD has on this board I hit it hard last week. I had 28 hookups but none to hand. I fished my new iSkagit with 18' of T14 so I know i was getting my bugs in front of the fish. Oh well, tight lines are tight lines right? Sure would have sucked to drive up, learn the area, fish some runs, and get skunked.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
After reading of the great "opportunity" the JD has on this board I hit it hard last week. I had 28 hookups but none to hand. I fished my new iSkagit with 18' of T14 so I know i was getting my bugs in front of the fish. Oh well, tight lines are tight lines right? Sure would have sucked to drive up, learn the area, fish some runs, and get skunked.
28 fish hooked and not one landed? thats crazy talk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
NO! time to leave those fish alone drive an hour and a half and fish the Sandy... Wait, you are in Western Oregon??? hmm just go fish winters please..

·
Registered
164 Posts
You should have gone to the Missouri. So good it's boring.

·
Registered
207 Posts
28 fish hooked and not one landed? thats crazy talk
Dude, those are some strong fish. As soon as I'd hook up they would hunker down and i couldn't get them to turn. Just had to break them off trying...Not very active fighters either.

Maybe if I fished a bit deeper I'd find some more manageable fish..

·
Boulder garden
367 Posts
What?!

Yarsdale. You related to chuck Norris ? That guy is bad ass. I've found the winter solstice hi tides on the day won't allow a proper drift.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll wait for Dec to chime in here but accuracy is key for this fishery. Dropping a skagit line and tip on a passing 'berg isn't easy. Much tougher than Nump tailouts. Thats why I fish the big lines, to get down deep as soon as I drop off the ice.

·
Steel Junkie
23 Posts
I've heard that the John Day has a late summer run of steelhead that are fishable in December and January.

The first question is that true?

Second is it possible to access the river from the John Day and Long Creek highways. Looking at google maps it looks like there might be some road access.

What section of the river would people recommend searching for steelhead in? Above Kimberly or below it, or below Spray?

Thanks for any tips or hints anybody might have.

Chris -

The North and Middle forks of the John Day are what's accessible from the 395 and the 402 (Kimberly Long Creek HWY). You want to fish the main stem of the John Day and that's along the 19. Anywhere from Service Creek on is good and is next to the road.

However, December and January are not the times to be fishing the John Day. Even though I know people do it all the time. The fish are practically in the spawning beds by then. The first week of December is when I cut myself off from the JD.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

·
BBCT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for the information _RJ_, that's good to know.

Chris -

·
Registered
326 Posts
Deschutes maybe, not john day, right?

The North and Middle forks of the John Day are what's accessible from the 395 and the 402 (Kimberly Long Creek HWY). You want to fish the main stem of the John Day and that's along the 19. Anywhere from Service Creek on is good and is next to the road.

However, December and January are not the times to be fishing the John Day. Even though I know people do it all the time. The fish are practically in the spawning beds by then. The first week of December is when I cut myself off from the JD.

Hopefully that answers your questions.
Aren't those JD fish summer fish that spawn way upriver and in the little tribs in the spring. The service creek area is a better fishery in February/March when ice is all gone...if flows are reasonable. Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Steel Junkie
23 Posts
You can catch bright fish all the way through February on the John Day. Just depends on your location. I should have been more specific about that. I meant the middle and north forks of the john day are not a good place to target them. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the clarification RJ, that makes sense. I've fished the service creek area one time in the spring many years back. My intention is to get there a little more this coming spring. appreciate the info, happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Onesunca check your PMs

Hey Onesunca,

Your PM box if full. Have a question asap. Please clear if possible.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
Clarno to Cottonwood

Hey,

Anybody ever float from Clarno to Cottonwood this time of year? Flows look good. 5-6 nights. I'm fully outfitted for the upcoming cold weather.

Input?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
295 Posts
JD flows and wind

I fished it twice below Cottonwood, the wind can be BRUTAL. I'm talking you have to walk the boat downstream because the wind is pushing you upstream in the frog water. It is also brutally cold right now and the water is muddy.

That float may be longer than you want with the winter temps. The guy talking about t14 is being funny. You don't need heavy tips. The flows are going to be between 400 and 700cfs.

The fish are wonderful but they aren't always easy!:saeek:

Good luck.

DH

·
Registered
295 Posts
I fished it twice below Cottonwood, the wind can be BRUTAL. I'm talking you have to walk the boat downstream because the wind is pushing you upstream in the frog water. It is also brutally cold right now and the water is muddy.

That float may be longer than you want with the winter temps. The guy talking about t14 is being funny. You don't need heavy tips. The flows are going to be between 400 and 700cfs.

The fish are wonderful but they aren't always easy!:saeek:

Good luck.

DH
Received a report of "muddy" so hit another river. Should work anyway. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts