Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved word today that over the weekend, the great Jim Green passed on.

Jim was truely one of the great inovators of the sport devolping everything from modern day flylines to introducing the world to graphite.

Flyfishing as we know it today has alot to owe to Jim.

My condolences go to Jim's freinds of which there are many on this board.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
His legacy will never be forgotten in flyfishing circles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jim Green will never know the fishing debt I owe him. It was in Mel Krieger's second casting video that I saw this old man casting these beautiful, beautiful loops with this huge rod in the middle of some broiling western river. All the things he said about the casting and why he took up the two-hander made great sense to me. I was absolutely smitten by it. It was the beginning of my spey journey which I hope lasts as long as his. Over the years I have talked about my piscatorial epiphany(it is the Easter season!) to others and to the person everyone who knew him spoke so highly of him. Thankyou Jim.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Thanks Jim

I met Jim many years ago on the Snake just below the mouth of the Ronde. He had a Sage four piece two handed prototype and he could certainly cast. He had forgotten his fly box, so borrowed one of my flies. He was a grand person and would perhaps be a little surprised at how many two handed rods he encouraged people to purchase with his casting.

He will be missed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It would be difficult to quantify the enormous impact of Jim Green on our sport. Our discussions here would take a very different form were it not for Jim, and many of us might not be here at all.

There is order, meaning and a healthy dose of spirituality in flyfishing for those that look for it. I think Jim found more than most. I still figure I'll run into him on a river someday.

M

·
0 Posts
Never Met Jim, me being here and him being there but in the 60/70's he was a legend, as far as I was concerned anyway.
I giess he's up there on a good stream somewhere making great casts and catching great fish. Old fishermen never die, they simply translocate. Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts