Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J W Youngs 1540 and 1535

Pawl setting:

There are 2 pawls and springs in these reels, and each pawl can be positioned so that the reel is RHW, LHW, or neutral (non-engaged);

For RHW, the outgoing clicker is stronger than the incoming (reeling in with right hand)

For LHW, the outgoing clicker is stronger than the incoming (reeling in with left hand)

When an individual pawl is in the non-engaged position, it does not reach the gear cog, and takes no part in the drag mechanism nor does it make any click.

There are 16 possible setting combinations for these reels:

There are 4 settings for normal RHW, 4 settings for normal LHW, 4 settings for completely neutral (free-running reel, neither pawl engaged), 2 settings for equal strength click & drag for outgoing and incoming, and 1 each for strong RHW and LHW (both pawls engaged);

The following pictures explain these 16 different settings:

RHW – with top pawl set to non-engaged-R

RHW – strong – both pawls set for RHW

Equal outgoing & incoming clicker – top pawl set LHW, lower pawl set RHW

RHW – with top pawl set to non-engaged-L

Neutral – free running, each pawl set to non-engaged L

LHW – with top pawl set to non-engaged-L

Neutral – free running, top pawl set to non-engaged-L, lower pawl set to non-engaged-R

Neutral – free running, each pawl set to non-engaged-R

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pawl setting part II

Neutral – free running, top pawl set to non-engaged-R, lower pawl set to non-engaged-L

RHW – with lower pawl set to non-engaged-L

Equal – outgoing and incoming clicker, top pawl set RHW, lower pawl set LHW

RHW – with lower pawl set to non-engaged-R

LHW – strong – each pawl engaged and set for LHW

LHW – with lower pawl set non-engaged-R

LHW – with lower pawl set non-engaged-L

LHW – with top pawl set non-engaged-R

Hope this helps……(YMMV!) ;)

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks

That's a very helpful and clear explanation.

For those settings where one pawl is engaged and the other not, does it matter which is engaged/unengaged, and which position the pawls are in? In other words, do all the LHW (or RHW) settings behave the same when one pawl is engaged?

Thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cabin fever setting in? :)

Thanks for taking the time to show all the combos. My new to me 1535 was screaming about a week ago. Nice sound when you hook into a hot fish!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a lot for the pictures. Now even I got it right.

And I realy do love these old solid reels. Can't wait to hear it scream!

Regards Mads

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a very helpful and clear explanation.

For those settings where one pawl is engaged and the other not, does it matter which is engaged/unengaged, and which position the pawls are in? In other words, do all the LHW (or RHW) settings behave the same when one pawl is engaged?

Thanks.
There may be slight differences in the outgoing click when the engaged pawl is in the upper or lower position (as shown on these pictures)...you may need to test out both for your own reel and find your own preference. I think any difference may be due to the direction of movement (small rotation) the pawl makes and which part of the spring resists that movement as it's about to click for outgoing clicks.

This does assume that both springs are equally good and strong, and both pawls have the same wear at the engaged tip.

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabin fever setting in? :)

Thanks for taking the time to show all the combos. My new to me 1535 was screaming about a week ago. Nice sound when you hook into a hot fish!
Not exactly cabin fever, although I can't get out to fish at this time.

I've been meaning to do this for some considerable time, as there are regular questions on here about the drag settings or re-settings for these workhorse reels.

Good to hear you've been able to get some good 'live' outgoing clicks happening!

Mike

·
Registered
880 Posts
Mike,

Great post.
I don't have a Youngs but I did just buy a Kingpin from VFT on a greatly reduced price for my "practice" outfit and it has dual pawls like this Youngs, so I assume it will be applicable to this reel as well.
The instructions showed a configuration which felt wrong/reversed for a LHW configuration and also very weak even at its highest setting. I'll try your LHW-LHW configuration to see how it feels.

Cheers,
Steve

I just tried the configuration for both set to LHW engaged having previously set it for lower disengaged and flipped.
Not sure if it's just the Kingpin but it feels pretty much the same as just the upper engaged and set for LHW.
Cheers
Steve

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve,

I'm not familiar with the internals of a Kingpin reel, and it may be that it's configuration is subtly different from the 1540/1535's.

Have you any pictures?

Mike

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Here's a shot of the Kingpin after flipping the bottom pawl, to look like your picture with both pawls engaged in LHW position.

My "bottom" pawl is on the left hand side!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Great Photo's! But a question!!

Love my Youngs but it has (as in your photo) the 'screw in thing' on the rim. I have zero idea what's that to do. Thing doesn't turn so clueless as to its function.

Fred

·
Registered
68 Posts
Screw in Thing

Fred, The "screw in thing on the rim" when turned raises the small plate that the screw is attached to. This increases the resistance of the pawls thus increasing the drag of the reel.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bingo!

Fred, The "screw in thing on the rim" when turned raises the small plate that the screw is attached to. This increases the resistance of the pawls thus increasing the drag of the reel.
Thought it had to do with some thing like that but can't get the darned thing to turn one way or the other. Am I missing another picture??:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fred,

Look at the pictures that have been provided. For this reel, the setting is at its lowest point (least resistance). Turning the "screw in thing on the rim" clockwise raises the plate increasing the resistance. So check your reel and if the plate is all the way down try to turn the "screw in thing on the rim" clockwise. If it's frozen, put some WD40 on it, and let it sit for awhile. Hopefully that will free it up.

If the plate on your reel is not like in the picture then try to turn the "screw" counterclockwise.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thought it had to do with some thing like that but can't get the darned thing to turn one way or the other. Am I missing another picture??:(
Fred,
Boeshield is supposed to be a great lubricant/anti corrosion product for unfreezing even long established corrosion on Classic reels (check out Clark's).
You should be able to get some on the bay or other marine or bike shops.
S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts