Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Here is a strange request, but has anyone have a picture or can they take a picture of a J.W. Young fly reel. I need a picture of what the internals of the reel look like (ie: the spring and pawls). Long story!!! But I need someones help. I've done a Google search and have had no luck.

Thanks for your help,
Alan (salmonguy)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sorry, Alan, but I don't have photoelectronic capacity. My 1540's inner works are conventional-looking, a double pawl spring screw-adjusted by a large brass-headed screw on the front of the left backplate, two triangular pawls, and a sturdy (approx. 5/16") shaft. You probably need more detail than that, and I hope someone else can provide it.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Alan, the 1500 series is identical as far as post and pawl location so a 1530 will do the job.I'll drop one off to you this afternoon.
Salmon Chaser
Comparing mine to yours tells me you are out two pawls,, the spring and maybe some hardware on the drag adjustment. Pretty much a paperweight right now.
Hope you are able to resolve this.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J. W. Young Reel

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyones help. I bought a reel and spool from a guy on E-Bay and it came without any internal parts. Quite and no drag system. His response was it was a disk drag and that there was nothing wrong with it. After a couple of e-mails I think he finally realizes he made a mistake but I would like a picture to show him what the inside is suppose to actually look like. I'm hoping this will be resolved in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Alan (salmonguy)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"...and it came without any internal parts."

Was/is the seller really THAT stupid?:roll: Naaa, start the process of getting your money back; you've been had.
Fred

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J.W.Young 1540 Reel

Hi Everyone,

The guy was quite an idiot afterall, I ended up getting almost 50 % of my money back and I still have the reel with an extra spool. So if you know anyone who has the internals for a J.W. Young 1540 reel or someone who is interested in a reel with no drag or 2 spools with about 100 yards of backing. The spools are in good condition and have nothing wrong with them. If any one is interested I will hold on to them for about a week and then they go to e-bay. So if you plan to buy anything on e-bay be carefull with "blackjam824" he's quite a scan artist.

Thanks,
Alan (salmonguy)

·
Registered
56 Posts
youngs1540 reel parts

you could try emailing garry mills he is the ex production manager at JW Youngs,and has set up his own company milltackle that renovates-repairs youngs reels [email protected] He should be able to help you out hope this is of help steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garry Mills

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info, I sent garry an e-mail and we will see what happens.

Alan (salmonguy)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts