Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at the new J Ryall Quick reels (www.jryall.com) as a possible match up for my 9/10 spey rod. I had a chance to see the reels at an expo and they seem really solid, kinda like Loop HD's, and yet go for a moderate price.

Has anyone ever had problems with the bronze drum drag system of the J Ryall's or heard of this drag having problems over time?

Ron

p.s. I am also looking at the Bauer Mac. Superlite and the Teton large arbor reels. Criticism on these reels for spey use would also be great.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
I have two of the Teton 12LA reels for my larger spey rods and have nothing bad to say about them. They will hold the biggest long bellied lines and a ton of backing. The drag has performed well on both as it has on the 8-10LA that I use on my single handed steelhead/Salmon rod. It is my understanding that the J. Rryall drag is almost identical. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
J-Ryall

I have the Standard arbor J-Ryall #12 on a Sage 9140 and it works great. Balances the rod nicely and the drag system on this reel could stop a Mack truck. I have nothing bad to say about these reels whatsoever. My only concern with the Quick series is whether it will be large enough to hold anything other than a WC type line in the 9/10 category without sacrificing too much backing? Also will this light weight reel be enough to balance the rod that you intend to use it on? I dont have any comments about the other reels mentioned as I dont own any of them nor have I used them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts