Spey Pages banner

J.M. Reid Bamboo HOOK & IRON GAUGE

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  CaneCaster 
#1 ·
Due to the overwhelming demand I have made a second pressing of the Hook & Gauge and these are now available for immediate delivery.

The Hook & Iron Gauge. 1/8" Anodized aluminum plate, brass pins, laser engraved for many lifetimes of use either at the tyer's bench or riverside. Universal for sizes 10-10/0. Priced at $55 USD + shipping to your local with a full $5 from the sale of each going directly to BC Steelhead Society.

For any who are interested in one of these unique H&I Gauges, please email me directly at jamesot@telus.net.

Payment via Paypal

Cheers and tight lines.
James

See less See more
#2 ·
Craftsmanship and Quality!

This Hook & Iron Gauge is a thing of beauty! I own one and use it often in selecting hooks for Atlantic salmon flies. It's useful in comparing lengths and gaps of various hooks before embarking on a project. When I am tying at club functions, it is definitely a conversation piece. Highly recommended!

Mark

#3 ·
Mark.

Awesome to hear that you are using, enjoying and putting your H&I Gauge to good use brother! Right on!

Cheers.
J.

#7 ·
Fabrication details, please!

The Hook & Iron Gauge. 1/8" Anodized aluminum plate, brass pins, laser engraved for many lifetimes of use either at the tyer's bench or riverside. Universal for sizes 10-10/0.
James
Hey Brother!

Can you tell us a bit more about how the printing is done on the gauge? It appears that the white is anodized on the plate first, then the black anodizing is placed over the white. Then, it appears, the black is removed by a laser to reveal the white underneath. Am I correct?

Mark

#8 ·
Emel I have replied to your PM request.

Thomas3 thank-you, you will hear from me shortly.

Rifflehitch. Awesome brother! so good to hear man. hopefully you will see some more time at your bench soon!

Mark. You pretty much have it correct sir, altho there is no white anodizing. first the blank is prepared/drilled and cleaned, then the blank is anodized followed by being laser engraved and finally the brass pins are pressed into the blank to form the gauge.

Cheers.
James

#11 ·
Chef. In the post for you today brother.

MHC. Awesome brother, great to hear that you are happy with your H&I Gauge! I agree fully, the new finish does indeed have a slate feel to it.

Cheers.
James

Reactions: Thomas3
#12 ·
I've seen that design before. So I rummage though some of my antique fly boxes. This is identical to the inlay inside The Wheatley Kilroy Patent Fly Box. This is a salmon fly box made by Wheatley with the same hook measurement engraved in the inside of the box with a hook set pin. I have one of the very few of these boxes in existence. You can google it to see. None for sale as far as I know.

#13 ·
Good Eye Philly-Jeff!

The main scale is a variation of the scale inside the lid of your Kilroy-Wheatley Box. The addition of the hook gape scale in the upper right hand corner of the gauge allows for full hook measurement not possible with the Kilroy gauge alone.

Here is a link to a thread from the first small batch of these gauges I produced where I state the use of the gauge design from the lid of your Kilroy fly box.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/95-hooks-feathers-floss/266257-hook-iron-gauge-project.html

Cheers.
James

Reactions: shotgunner
#14 ·
James, I wasn't suggesting that there was a patient infringement, the name of the box that I'm referring to is: "The Wheatley Kilroy Patent Fly Box" I didn't put the word "Patient" in the description of the fly box to suggest that there was a Patent for that design it's the actual name of the box. I stumbled into that box at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show, picked it up for $25, perfect condition. Now a keepsake. This box is made of very heavy gauge aluminum, not like the new Weatley's. Built like a tank.

#15 ·
Philly-Jeff.

No worries brother! I was just giving you as well as others some background on how the H&I Gauge came about. Your old Kilroy box is a very cool bit of kit and unique for it's time!

Cheers.
James

#16 ·
Thank-you to everyone who has purchased one of the H&I Gauges!
I do still have a few left available for anyone who may wish to order.
Cheers.
James

#19 ·
Bill S. Great news! I hope you will get many years of service from it!

MHC. Ask a dozen tyers get a dozen different answers brother. Maybe you should pose the question in the HFF sub forum, it would make a good discussion!

Cheers.
James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.