Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have been catching some fish for me when I can get the fly seen :)

Most are tied on Pro Tube with a silver drop weight up front.

The first (bottom) layer of wing is 'believe it or not', dyed PB in pink / light purple - sparse

Second is Arctic Fox dyed kingfisher blue

A few strands of black Crystal Flash

Then black Angora Goat about 3.5 inches long topped with 5 or 6 strands of peacock herl.

Pretty simple but they look good as a leech when swimming :) I'm still tying classic style but these tubes have been a fun distraction for me, they are also catching a few fish.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Nice to see your flies again Ard. These are great. I could see them working in a heap of different colours. Thanks for posting these.

·
wandering monk
231 Posts
Nice Ard...I guess its fly tying time up there now...only a few more months and you grow huge vegetables and catch awesome fish again!

all the best...t

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
My thougt too ST.

Nice Ard...I guess its fly tying time up there now...only a few more months and you grow huge vegetables and catch awesome fish again!

all the best...t
Amazing how fast/big Veggies grow when you've got 'sun' 24/7. River's iced over so Ard can skip that for 'recreation.';) I'm not a tube fly fan .... but those above could get me to change my mind.

fae

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Sweet tubes Ard!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's hoping that if anyone copies them they'll give some results. They did catch fish for me while I was down in Oregon but not the giant I was hoping for :) None the less I had a wonderful time traveling around the state and meeting some great people.

I will continue trying to refine the tying of these things and will keep hurling them into the rivers. There are so many good tiers making these I can't help but to be inspired and to get better at it myself.

You are right about the weather right now, I took some time today to start up the snowmachine's and to pull the freight sled from its summer storage area. It won't be long until I make a run to the cabin. I figure that we need another snow of about a foot and off I'll go. The work out there always helps pass the winter months, I'm thinking that the first floor ceiling will get finished as well as getting some cedar sheeting on the little room I framed up 2 years ago now............. The good news is that over the past few years I put up so much firewood that I won't hear a chain saw or splitter all winter.

Ard

Ard

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
whoa whoa whoa, wait just one minute.... DYED POLAR BEAR?!?!? :chuckle: I guess if you have it use it right?

Sam showed me one of these you gave him this spring chasing steel and as soon as i got home i quickly copied them, looks great on the screen but better in the water!

glad to hear you have some stuff to do in the frigid winter this year, lucky for me I will be chasing chrome rather than breaking off ice my boots with you! haha glad things are going well Ard.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"dyed polar bear?!?!? "

Never died/purchased any but white, but if I only had just a few bits to build a fly: Red, Orange, Black or Blue and top any of that with White Polar Bear hair. That stuff, I swear, glows in the dark.

:smokin:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ard-
They look like Sunray Shadows which is a good Atlantic Salmon fly, good to hear it works well for Steelhead as well. We will fish these often by casting directly across the river/pool and fast stripping, often you will get incredible takes with the fish leaping out of the water to take the fly. Nice ties and color combinations.
John

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More replies than I thought..............

Josh, I got a bunch years ago from a guy who was selling all his stuff, there are several different colors but I won't dye any of mine. I've handed out a bunch of those and I'm sure Sam got a few :)

Fred, I like it plain white, the colors I have were as is when they came to me.

John, I poached the pattern from a fellow in the UK who fishes Norway often. He calls it a Wilkinson Sunray, I have had good takes from salmon and trout with all of the Sunray patterns. I love making the Northern European style tubes because they are simple yet really neat flies. I'd love to fish where you are at before I'm done but it's a long shot :)

Ard

·
wandering monk
231 Posts
I like your style on firewood too...my only problem is everytime I get a stash going somebody makes me an offer..well you know...t:)

but then Heaven for me is cutting firewood in the morning and fly fishing in the afternoon!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ted,

You have been pretty scarce lately, I wish there was a way to get some of the wood home from the cabin. Here at home we could use about another cord just to make it without worries. As it is I'm being conservative with the home pile.

Today I tied more tubes, I'll take a picture of some and add them to the thread when there is a good selection.

Ard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts