Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was a tough little one. I took alot of time trying to ensure the joints were even. And I used the 6th segment to contain the menagerie of hackles in the front. Very surprised how well Argus married to florican... However, this was the hardest dressing I've attempted in the two years I've been binding fleas. Hope you like.

·
Administrator
19,126 Posts
That's a busy little flee :whoa::whoa:
I think you did a good job getting those joints similar, a very difficult task with so many !! I only attempt three or four joints max.
If she's a swinger ... and hope it is ... it will hunt well for you :)

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a busy little flee :whoa::whoa:
I think you did a good job getting those joints similar, a very difficult task with so many !! I only attempt three or four joints max.
If she's a swinger ... and hope it is ... it will hunt well for you :)

Mike
This ***** is getting wet for sure!:devil:

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool little fly good job on body. try tying the wings built style and see how you like it for fishing
Built style? All my questions to very recognized people regarding this term is that its purely a married wing. If you are referring to the method kelson described using slips from right side on right side of fly and left on left. No I will not do it this way. I do not like the way the wing looks. I've "built" them this way several times and mounted them nicely, I just don't like the style, IMHO. If I'm not reading the "built" method you reference correctly, please elude the details or a picture since I'm. Simple coloring book type guy...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
built wing is a style of wing it.not a married.wing. u tie the materials one at a time or sometimes in groups so.colours married together bustard together and then they form the wing ounce alltied in so there is more movement in the wing. marying a wing together is not a built wing.

married wings are a thing of today, no old.books have married wing in them.

example.
tie white tip turkey first then a slip of peacock then a married slip of kori and florican then gp tied on top. colours as side or inthe wing.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my misinformation...

Yes, after obtaining some clarification, from you and some others, I see now, the entire wing shouldnt be married of sorts, sections can be but the entire thing is not said or shown.

I see, and thank you, my ignorance was in the way on this one

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Your execution of the body was amazing on this one, but as I hope you would be honest with me I will you. This fly just doesn't do a lot after the body for me. I think it's the iron choice and size/shape of the wing, just feels out of proportion... All that said every element of this fly was done very well!

·
Administrator
19,126 Posts
but swim better
That is my observation as well Kevin.
My opinion there is too much emphasis on making tiny heads, when the fact is a properly proportioned head causes currents to swirl behind, helping to move and pulse the feathers behind it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i agree mike small head are hip now a days. beside spey n dee flies its ok to have bigger head specially if there tied in the old way

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your execution of the body was amazing on this one, but as I hope you would be honest with me I will you. This fly just doesn't do a lot after the body for me. I think it's the iron choice and size/shape of the wing, just feels out of proportion... All that said every element of this fly was done very well!
Yup, which is why I said it sorta worked, wing would have alot nicer without the pronounced hump and about 3/4 the height... But not to worry this ***** is getting wet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts