Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't funny how much this sport is driven by fads??

During the summer of '02, the XLT was the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone was anticpating the release of the Grandspey and because of all this, the board was filled with talk of my belly is longer then your's, 'my momma can cast farther then your momma', Way Yin is my hero, etc. etc. etc.

This past summer however, shooting heads were suddenly the greatest thing...you were not cool if you did not refer to shorter heads and the casting style that surrounds them as 'Skagit Casting' etc. etc.

Does anyone fish Windcutters or Midspeys anymore w/o removing tip #2?? Or am I just that 'old skool' already???
:hehe:

...although, a year and a half ago, Windcutters and Midspey were useless because they were just too short!...this year, Windcutters and Midspeys are soooo uncool because they are too long! :rolleyes:

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that the midspey would go the way of disco (???). I dunno, its just fun to experiment with all this stuff, and the manufacturers are stepping up to the plate to take our cash with well designed products.

rock - n - roll !!! very cool to see it all unfold.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Very good observation Spark and oh so true. I own at least each one of the following lines: Grandspey, XLT, Windcutter, Acclererator, and until I lost it a Scandanavian Shooting Head. Even so, the two lines I own that get far and away the most fishing time are the Long Deltas and the Midspeys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well

i do love my windcutter and midspey both, but when push comes to shove, i've got to go with my grandspey, i think it is the lazy side of me not wanting to strip in all the running line. They are all great lines, however, and all get significant use.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Fashions come and go, Ryan do not tell me you will object when mini skirts return.

I remember driving slowly in traffic eyeing the long legs when you suddenlt realise all the cars in front have stopped thank goodness for disc brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
Isn't funny how much this sport is driven by fads??

During the summer of '02, the XLT was the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone was anticpating the release of the Grandspey and because of all this, the board was filled with talk of my belly is longer then your's, 'my momma can cast farther then your momma', Way Yin is my hero, etc. etc. etc.

This past summer however, shooting heads were suddenly the greatest thing...you were not cool if you did not refer to shorter heads and the casting style that surrounds them as 'Skagit Casting' etc. etc.

Does anyone fish Windcutters or Midspeys anymore w/o removing tip #2?? Or am I just that 'old skool' already???
:hehe:

...although, a year and a half ago, Windcutters and Midspey were useless because they were just too short!...this year, Windcutters and Midspeys are soooo uncool because they are too long! :rolleyes:
Rio is laughing all the way to the bank!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Tinkering is fun, but

you can have my Mid-Spey when you pry it from my cold dead fingers! The Skagits and Scandanavians are probably more user friendly, and while very efficent fishing tools, also appeal to the crowd that started with Windcutters and hasn't gone longer. In Michigan the winter fishing (major icing) makes running line less functional. The MS covers most of my needs, except for the occasional spots on big rivers where we enter Grand-Spey or Winter Line (credit to Dana) territory. If I had to fish one line, it would be the Mid-spey length.

That said, I'll never stop tinkering with lines, leaders, tips, flies, and (gasp) even indicators. It's all fishing and it's all FUN!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Ryan,

It depends on the length of the rod I'm fishing. I use my GrandSpeys on my 14 ft and longer rods (although I do like it on my 13' 8/9 GLX) and my MidSpeys on my shorter rods. In fact, I only use the GrandSpey on my meatstick T&T 1611 and use it most of the time on my T&T 1510. I find I fish the MidSpey about 60% of the time with me 13 foot rod. But then again, I like the long-belly lines a lot. I suspect that there are far more people fishing the shorter belly lines like the Windcutter, Delta, MidSpey, Long Delta than either the long belly XLT or GS, or the shooting head Scandanavian, Adapted, or Skagit lines.

But you are right, the latest thing on the market tends to have it become a must have fad. We see the same thing in rods, waders, fishing vest, rain gear, wading shoes, etc.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have all of the lines and the windcutter and the midspey are still at the top of the list when it comes to fishing.

Most of the rivers I fish for steelhead, if you are shooting even 15' of line with the midspey, you are casting to far. I don't know, even a lazy bastard like myself can strip in 10' of line.

I fished last week when the news said that the wind was blowing 70mph. I don't think it was quit that bad up the river but close. Blowing straight up river. I went back to old trusty (windcutter) and I managed to turn the fly over (I did have to overhead cast to do it). Just when I was thinking that maybe I was waisting my time fishing a floating line on a pool that is supposed to be flat be in fact had two foot rollers coming up river, I got a fish. I now know that it is not a waist of time to fish in a gail, just painful.

I love the windcutter! Always will.

Greg

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Ever since I got the xlt for both my 1287 and 1509 I have not taken the midspey or long delta out of the drawer. I do not see that these lines do anything more easily than the xlt. I can fish any distance with the xlt that I can with the other lines from 40' on out. Just because you have a long belly does not mean you need to use it. So just because I am fishing a river that is no more than 70 feet across would not make me want to go to a midspey rather than the xlt.

A few weeks ago I spent a week on a guided trip to the Grande Ronde with Scott O'Donnell who is a big proponent of the windcutter and I actually got back to using one for that week and see some significant advantages especially for throwing tips and especially if you are fishing tight quarters with little D loop room. Same for the Skagit type lines. He was essentially using a skagit type line as he was remvoing tip 2 from the WC. However, the last day I think the high was around 33 and shooting line sure caused icing problems.

Still, neither the xlt or the midspey type lines would handle these situations as well

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Man, the way fishing been for me this fall I have decided to become proficient with the Skagit lines and shooting heads - just for something to do! :confused:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Tyler,

And it is 51 Farenheight here at my house right now and raining cats and dogs. It sure looks like the Skagit isn't going to clear until sometime next month if we're lucky. Might have to learn how to fish flies in mud.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was never much one for fads. Bought my first spey rod Just before they became popular ( about12 years ago) caught a fish on it the first time out figured it worked ok and stuck with it. My first line was a double taper, then a windcutter. fished windcutters for a few years then met Steve Choate and Bill Wiliams found that my technique was lacking and I couldn't perform with amm my bad windcutter habits so I fished the DT and gained the skill until I got to the point where the DT would go no further and switched to the XLT and never looked back..
Good products are only fads because people are willing to buy the latest and greatest. What i encourage people to do is find something that works for them and stick with it..

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Debarb - I am using the 9/10, the line Way recommended especially for throwing tips. If I were to use an xlt strictly or mostly as just a floater I think I would opt for the 8/9. I am using the 7/8 on the 1287 and it is a dream!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Debarb
I agree with Rick. I use the both the 8/9 and 9/10 on my 1509. 9/10 with tips or lots of wind.
Bill

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks RickJ and Wrke, and sorry to have sidetracked the thread. But the reason I ask is b/c, contrary to Rob Allen's sage advice here, I caught the xlt bug, and got the 8/9 xlt for the 1509 and my Burkie 13'9" 7-8-9, even though my Airflo's were working beautifully. Haven't spent a lot of time with the xlts (work!), but I quickly retreated to the Airflos when I didn't get the casts I wanted with the xlts. Just needed to find out whether it was me or the line weight that was the problem. As usual, me.

I admit to being a tinkerer, but don't have as quite as bad as some people on this board, which is for me one of the beauties of the Speyclave: whenever I'm feeling guilty standing in a checkout line, I just think of the wanton profligacy of Fred and the rest, and I happily spend money like I've got enough to burn a wet mule.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Now that we have derailed this thread I might as well say that a lot of people don't care for the xlt because of the front taper being kinda light and they have trouble getting it to turn over. I don't mind it myself but some guys liek tocut a little off the front end.

Rpb Allen?? Sage advice???? nahh i just spour off opinions like everyone else:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts