Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retreive
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a little help on Identifying current retrieve mode on this reel that I have recently acquired. I would like to set it to the Right hand retrieve.

Also, right now, I really feeel no difference when winding forward or rearward. When I crank the drag it becomes more difficult to wind but still no difference between forward and rear winding. that is a bit strange

Ok, this is JW Young `1540. It is a simple reel but has a lot of life in it. It is basically new. I need to set it up as Right hand retrieve.
Can anybody help please. Thank you in advance
Here is the photo of the internals as it is right now.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
1/ rotate the lower pawl ( as shown on your pictures here) 1/3 turn clockwise, so that the point of the pawl now points to the right, and no longer engages with the gear cog on the spindle.

then,

2/ slide the upper pawl (as shown on your pictures here) off the retaining rivet, and then rotate it 1/3 turn clockwise, then flip it over so that the slot on the pawl faces towards the tensioner screw, and replace it on the rivet in that position, and its point will be engaging with the gear cog on the spindle.

It will now be RHW

....like this....

Mike

·
Retreive
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Million thks Mike.

just a quick clarification.

Looks like I have to flip over both of my pawls in order to assume the position you suggest. Can you clarify please Thank you again

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Sorry to confuse you...

It actually doesn't matter whether the lower pawl is flipped, it just needs to be rotated so that its point is now NOT engaging with the gear cog on the spindle ( and it helps if the orientation of the slot in the pawl means that, relative to the spring on that side, it doesn't slide off the rivet.

The other pawl, the upper one in each picture, is the engaging pawl (engaging with the gear cog on the spindle), and that's the one, in the position I have shown in my picture, that gives the reel the RHW you wish to have.

If you leave both pawls engaged with the gear cog on the spindle, the drag is probably too strong for most purposes of the reel in use.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts