Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Loomis Trilogy 13' 7/8wt and a Hardy Gem 13' 9/10wt, and when i look at Rio's recommendation, they recommend the same linewt in Windcutter, Midspey and Grandspey for both these rods. I am planning to by the Windcutter spey 7/8/9wt for my Trilogy, and the midspey 8/9wt for my Gem, but i want to know if this is a correct recommendation for these rods?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
No standards for two hand

hp - there has been a considerable discussion on the Board in the past on the lack of consistency in labeling lines and rods by different manufacturers. The single handed rods, at least in this part of the world, have retty consistent labeling for rods and lines, but we have not reached that oint with two handed systems.

As an example the CND is labeled an 11 weight, but "for overhead casting." For spey casting you need to use something the order of an 8/9 line. Overhead you need the 11 -12 weight head. So is it an 11 weight rod or an 8/9? In this case it is pretty clear that the 11 weight designation is correct for its design, overhead casting.

That said, I have found RIO recommendations to be pretty close. The difference in weight of the two lines is about 60 grains (525 for 7/8/9 and 585 for 8/9/10). About 6 feet removed from tip two of the 8/9/10 would bring them to approximately the same weight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
So i can use Windcutter spey 7/8/9 and Midspey 7/8 on both these rods, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
peter-s-c wrote

the last thing I would assume is that your two rods would cast the same lines.

Me to!!!!
But i was a litle confused when i looked in the Rio recommeation for line and rod, and they say that the Windcutter spey, Midspey and Grandspey would fit both these rods in the same linewt numbers.

I must also say that i cast underhand/spey in 99% of my time in the river, and the reason for this is that there is only 3 spots in my home river where you can use an overhead cast.
I would think that the Gem in 13' and 14' is quite similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello peter.
You assume just right, but i want to use it with all of the belly outside the guides, this is no problem in the rivers i fish.
You can call me slow if you want to, but i have to ask, the Midspey 9/10wt is a little heavy and you have to take some of the belly into the guides. would the Midspey 8/9wt be a better choice if i want to use the belly outside the guides?
At this point i am only talking about my 13' 9/10wt gem.

There is no possibility for me to try any of the lines you talk about. The only line that is possible for me to try is Windcutter spey 9/10/11wt.
The reason i talk about RIO all the time is that their lines are easy to purchase in norway, and as far as i know, any other spey lines must be ordered over seas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot.
I will try the Windcutter and find out how that line bends the rod.
what is the price on the Windcutter and Midspey in us?
In norway the price is 100+$

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
hp

The price from the Fly Fishing Shop, one of the Board sponsors is $75. OR has no state tax. I am not sure what shipping would be. You could ask them, River Run Angler or Red Shed all site sponsore to see if you can get it cheaper by mail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tested the windcutter 9/10/11 and found it to heavy for my rod, but the reason can be that i put on a Loop intm salmon leader.
On thuesday i picked up my midspey 8/9 and vent out for testing and found it to light for my gem. The 13ft 9/10wt gem needs at least a 9/10 midspey to work well.
On the good side, i was at my local dealer's shop and picked up a yellowline 13'2" 9/10 for testing, i did not have much hope for this rod because i've heard mostly bad things about yellowline rods. To my surprise this is the best damn rod i've ever hold in my hands. I tried some shootingheads on it, and started with a powertaper 8/9wt and about 11,5m long, this was a little light but had a good feel in the rod.
Next i tried a hardy salmon sh 9/10, a windcutter 8/9/10 and midspey 8/9 and all of these was perfect on the rod. I even put out some quite nice loops whit the midspey.
Last i put on a hardy salmon sh 10/11 and this head just went on and on and never seemed to stop.
I have fished with flyrods for about 14 or 15 years and have never tried a flyrod that is so light, so smooth with so much power. I think i know why the people at loop made this yellow, they want this rod for them selves.
If my local dealer think he get this rod back, he must think again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea on how many rods i've tried over the years, but it is a lot and many of them are very nice rods. But as you say, so many rods and so little money.:(
When i tried the windcutter 9/10/11 on the gem, i also tried a loop greyline 15ft 10/11wt with the same windcutter, and it was easier to lift the line from the water with the gem. Mayby this has to do whit the way i handle the rods, i dont know.

Back to the yellow:)
i will mainly use the midspey 8/9 and hardy shootinghead 9/10 on this rod, but in low and warm water i will also use the powertaper 8/9wt with small flies in tight possitions.
And i must say that after about 4 hours of casting yesterday, i was :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: all the way home.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
In the same vein

In the same vein, I broke a CND 13' 6/7 Expert a couple weeks ago using the Rio-recommended MidSpey 6/7. Both companies came through in spades, Rio swapping me out for an lighter 5/6 Windcutter and Juro hooking me up with a snappy turnaround. I am fishing again this weekend.

Basically I think I am in a unique situation because I am a power caster on a one handed rod and I am making the transition to spey with absolutely no guidance. I can switch cast more than 80 feet but I think I am applying too many of the skills I learned in overhead casting and not enough in the way of Spey. For instance, I am basically elevating 60+ feet of line in the D backcast and then bringing it forward as I would with an overhand rod, only I am leaving my top hand in place and using the bottom hand as I do my haul- pulling the rod into me and snapping at the end.

Anyway, I tried to pick up too much line and I snapped the rod. Because I've never used a spey rod I don't really know what their flex should feel like. I have thrown LC-13 heads on my heavier sticks and the flex feels about the same. I may have been closer to tolerances than I realized. Hopefully the 5/6 line will bring it back down to speed- we'll see this weekend.

Thanks Juro.

Zach

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Thanks Peter

Thanks Peter. I will bring it down to molasses and check back up.

Zach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts