Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I have been pondering a trip in the not so distant future to Ireland and Scotland.
I've never been to the UK, while my wife has been to England.
I would like to visit my family's heritage lands, but while there I would yearning to fish fabled waters!!

Is there an advantage to acquiring a travel two-hander?
The rod tube would still be too long for a carry on and would have to go in the luggage ... if there was any room :LOL:
So I'm trying to gather some opinions and knowledge from all those that have traveled on planes with rods.
Would it be better to just get a travel tube and bring my 3 and 4 piece rods?

Mike

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t believe you’re asking, on this board, if you, a known tackle tart, needs a new rod.
Well, it depends on how you read my question ... if you read between the lines, my question asked if it was worth it to get a travel rod ... that doesn't rule out not getting another rod :LOL:

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,677 Posts
When traveling I use my "golf case". It will hold 4 piece rods up to 15 feet as well as all my gear(waders, sling pack, blah blah blah). Depending on how long your stay is you might get by with something like this and a carry on.

I would check with the airlines. There have been some changes in luggage policies. One being cost.

·
Drags are for Sissys
348 Posts
The whole idea of a 6 (or more) piece travel rod grosses me out no mater how good the review or how good someone says they cast. And I'm with GHalliday ... if its a special day or special location I'd want my regular rod(s).

Why in the world would anyone want to cast a 6 piece rod full of ferrules? I mean we can do even better than 6 piece travel rod, what about telescoping rods that collapse into themselves similar to an old style car radio aerial or Popiel's Pocket Fisherman.... go for it!

Seriously; If we can figure out how to transport a hockey stick or a set of skis almost anywhere why can't the same be done for a four piece spey rod?

But generally I have no strong opinions on this subject. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it would make a difference. The Buelah G2 13’8” 8 weight is 6 pieces and the sections break down to under 28” each. A 9’ 4 piece breaks down to at minimum 27”. My Simms carry on will fit 10’ 4 piece rods. I’be never had a problem carrying it on a plane. I think you would be able to carry-on a 6 piece spey rod and not have to check it. Plus, when other fisherman see you carrying a fly rod case in an airport they know you’re off to do something fun!

Jake

·
Registered
841 Posts
The whole idea of a 6 (or more) piece travel rod grosses me out no mater how good the review or how good someone says they cast. And I'm with GHalliday ... if its a special day or special location I'd want my regular rod(s).

Why in the world would anyone want to cast a 6 piece rod full of ferrules? I mean we can do even better than 6 piece travel rod, what about telescoping rods that collapse into themselves similar to an old style car radio aerial or Popiel's Pocket Fisherman.... go for it!

Seriously; If we can figure out how to transport a hockey stick or a set of skis almost anywhere why can't the same be done for a four piece spey rod?

But generally I have no strong opinions on this subject. ;)
Everyone should fish what they want, but after using quality 6 pc. rods for a while, I wouldn't trade them for anything. So easy for transportation, and I can't tell the difference. If I lived close to my fishing, I wouldn't worry about it either, but for those of us who have to travel, especially by air, they make life so much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A 6 piece travel rod may not cast as well as your "go to" standard rod but it always cast better then your lost baggage excuse from the airlines. Been there and done that. When traveling afar, I always carry them on with me and the 6 piece makes that so easy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m planning on bringing my 16’ 4-piece rod with me to Scotland hopefully in the Spring. My plan was to bring a large backpack and strap the PVC rod tube I built for it either to the outside or even stick it inside with my clothes with some of it sticking out the top. I think the golf bag would be another good idea or even a snowboard travel bag. Those are normally consider oversized though I think, so probably have to pay extra. I’ll have to check to see what the airlines have changed with regards to luggage. I remember my wife flew back from Scotland with a mountain bike basically just folded up in a large cardboard box with British Airlines about 10-15 years ago. I don’t think she even got charged any extra for it. I don’t think it’s like that anymore!

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane and old clicker reels ......
1,003 Posts
Mike ….. if it were me, and I was going to buy yet another rod 😎, I think I would buy one from a shop over there and pick it up when I arrived. When done, I would ship it back home. There are a few nice brands over there, and would only add to that “special” trip. , Bruce and Walker, Galeforce to name a few. Problem solved

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mike ….. if it were me, and I was going to buy yet another rod 😎, I think I would buy one from a shop over there and pick it up when I arrived. When done, I would ship it back home. There are a few nice brands over there, and would only add to that “special” trip. , Bruce and Walker, Galeforce to name a few. Problem solved
Excellent idea. It would be fun to pick up a B&W at the B&W shop and fish it on the trip. I've heard they offer tea and biscuits to their visiting clients--a bonus.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Advantage - yes, sometimes

I have a few rod rods, focus on ease of travel, including Meiser 1305S-5 and a 13'6" 7wt. I am happy with this rods, but if you had to use something like a 6wt long MKS, you might not be happy.

Carry-On - London, Dublin, Munich, Stockholm, Auckland, Bahamas, et cetera no problem - usually. The problem with some of the small hoppers and full flights, they may require you to check in the second bag, as you board. So my choice, do I keep my laptop (/camera) or my rods. Twice, at Heathrow, going to Stockholm, I had to given them my rods for this reason. You also get a little more leeway of you are in Business Class, but you are not immune.

As far as security and airport staff - SoBs in Atlanta, Virgin in Australia - but great people at John Wayne (Orange County), Orlando, Frankfurt, so you never know.

I found the security people in Japan (think it was Tokyo) kind, but absolutely would not let me take on the rods on the connector to Obhiro (Hokkaido), but I was able to on the return. It was great, then the Japan Airlines staff went to the deck and bow to see the plane off!

Remember, you are also charged for the number and size of the bags you check in, so it can be an advantage to have the shorter rods, and have then in a duffle with everything else.

Oh yes, it is easier to handle when I am on the train to.

You can send by DHL your rods there or back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Trip to Norway and Sweden just prior to Covid used Sage ballistic 48" rod tube and carried it onto plane. Don't ask permission just carry it on. Out of 6 flights only the last flight home did they not allow us to carry it on. Carried multiple rods up to 4 PC 15'. Had to check 3 PC 15' in checked baggage used golf travel bag with rollers stuffed full with everything just keep below 50 lbs to avoid oversize charge. Most airlines won't honor lost/damaged rods so try and avoid checking them at all costs. Flight home I was in panick when once thru passport check line sage rod case wasn't on luggage carousel. Found it sitting on floor in corner of Newark airport by oversize department anyone could have carried it off if they wanted. Also brought all our reels in carry on luggage.

·
One more cast...
221 Posts
This is an excellent solution. I agree with the assessment of “problem solved”.

Reactions: fshnazn

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my wife and I have been pondering a trip in the not so distant future to Ireland and Scotland.
I've never been to the UK, while my wife has been to England.
I would like to visit my family's heritage lands, but while there I would yearning to fish fabled waters!!

Is there an advantage to acquiring a travel two-hander?
The rod tube would still be too long for a carry on and would have to go in the luggage ... if there was any room :LOL:
So I'm trying to gather some opinions and knowledge from all those that have traveled on planes with rods.
Would it be better to just get a travel tube and bring my 3 and 4 piece rods?

Mike
Hey Mike,
I have had the opportunity to travel to Ireland multiple times before to visit my cousins and IMHO the best way to carry/ship your rods is in a plain PVC pipe you can purchase from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If you are concerned about extra cost of oversized baggage you may want to try an option I learned after the first time I traveled to Guatemala to fish. The guide/lodge owner advised me to send my gear including rods via courier such as FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. the next time I traveled as my rods were delayed in being processed at Guatemalan Airport and did not get to the lodge until 2 days later on a 3 day, 2 night trip for Sailfish. Now whenever I go traveling to visit my cousins every couple of years or anywhere else I know I will be bringing my fishing gear I try to make arrangements to send it to an individual/lodge I can trust ahead of time by a couple weeks. Usually it gets there before I even leave and I can then confirm all gear was received in good condition, as well as make any alternative arrangements if needed. Never had any issues since. Also depending on where you are going & what courier shipping service you use its also a lot less expensive. Just my two cents, Enjoy your trip!

Shane

1 - 20 of 25 Posts